Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hypothetically getting lambs now for the freezer in oct/nov  (Read 3607 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
ok

this is half hypothetical as nothing is confirmed yet, i think i have found a residence that will allow me to rent some summer grazing :-)

if i wanted to get going this year rather than wait till next year is it possible to buy lambs at this time of year to graze the land and go in the freezer at the back end of this year (im guessing if it all went to plan id be looking for stock in early july)

tell me what i need to think about please all of you!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: hypothetically getting lambs now for the freezer in oct/nov
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 09:52:05 pm »
It is feasible to buy store lambs once the store marts start that will be away by the back end, yes.

You would need a holding number and a flock number.

The main risk, I guess, is that one or more of the store lambs isn't ready by the back end - got lame and lost condition, or other illness ditto, or just is a poor do-er, or was of a type that needs longer to finish.  So then you have to get off your grazing and have lambs that aren't ready to slaughter.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 09:52:28 pm »
Yes you could buy a few commercial type stores from market to graze over summer then kill in autumn. Great for filling your freezer, probably not much money in it if you're only keeping them for a couple of months but if they are a fairly good size but just need a little more weight to finish they should be fine.

I bought some texel store lambs in July last year and they went on 5th November just before the bad weather set in.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 01:48:48 pm »
You could always get some hoggs (last year's lambs) of the traditional breeds, like Shetlands, graze them over the summer and put them into the freezer in the autumn. Great meat and should be a lot sturdier than lambs from this spring. Also won't break the bank...

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:40 pm »
I would say buy lambs which were born in either jan-feb-march.
Also if they're any younger possibly fast growing lambs like suffolk and the like.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:53:17 am »
Anke beat me to it - was going to suggest last year's primitives - finish over the summer and ready to go when you want and the look nice too  :innocent:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:47:57 am »
Bloomer - get some Castlemilk's - they will be a good start for you - low maintenance, hardy etc etc and will taste nice !
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:27:06 am »
bloomer, and everyone who wonders why primitives and rare breeds aren't commercial - you may find it useful to read the post I just wrote in jaykay's 'disappointment at the mart' thread, detailing how lambs kill out and what return you can expect from a commercial type vs a primitive type.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Young Ed

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:11:07 am »
i am in the same boat..... almost!
well the only difference being the grazing is my dads (i am 15 so live at home)

i will be getting 3 store lambs in july sort of time and then they will be off in october/november sort of time
fencing may be an issue on short term rented grazing as if it doesn't already have good secure stock fencing the land owner may not want you erecting that and you may not want to as it is difficult to remove and if you leave it there then what if you don't rent the grazing ever again. my dad doesn't want stock fencing as it is too permanent and on my half it is rather expensive, also as i am rotational grazing rather than set stocking it would make mowing rather difficult so i have gone for electric fencing.

i am now rather knowledgeable on this subject so shoot me a PM if you have any queries
i will be buying the 3 Lleyn lambs from a local farmer

anything else just ask and i will see if i can help
Cheers Ed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS