Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What age is the best time to swop hubbard chicks from chick crumb onto growers  (Read 2944 times)

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
does anyone know how old chicks should be before I move them off chick crumb onto growers? they are currently 3-4 weeks old.

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
Hi, I usually start mine on growers at 6/7 weeks old

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
great thanks may have to buy another bag of chick crumb to take them through the next couple of weeks.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
My chicks are 5 weeks old and l put a pot of growers pellets in front of them yesterday and they gobbled the lot.  They still have access to chick crumbs though so for the next 2 weeks will have a bit of both then all pellets.  Growing faster than weeds.

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
We put ours onto growers at 3 weeks. They are now nearing 5 weeks and are looking superb.

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
There is so much conflicting advice , l make it up as l go along.  If they are happy you cant be doing too much wrong.  :thumbsup:

FaeFife

• Joined Jul 2012
Being Hubbards and grown for the table, you would normally be looking at 10 to 12 weeks old to slaughter them, depending on the size of bird you prefer. The growth rate is far quicker than utility birds, so it's recommend to introduce grower pellets at 3-4 weeks. My Hubbards are almost 4 weeks old and are starting growers today, mixed with chick crumbs for a few days.

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
Thank you everyone, I have put them onto growers and they seem to be happy enough with the change and growing fast.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS