Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goose now eating her own eggs :(  (Read 4325 times)

lilfeeb

• Joined Feb 2013
  • Kinross-shire
goose now eating her own eggs :(
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:13:25 am »
After laying steadily away all spring, our goose has suddenly started eating her own eggs Does anyone know what might have caused this and how to stop her. >:(

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: goose now eating her own eggs :(
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:45:00 pm »
I know nothing much about geese Lilfeeb, but based on chickens it starts with thin egg shells. Rapidly develops into a very difficult to cure habit. Try pot eggs left in the nest area permanently and check the diet for sufficient calcium. Vitamin D also plays a part.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: goose now eating her own eggs :(
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:49:57 pm »
I don't know about geese, only hens. There was a thread on here that I agreed with - a bird can break an egg by accident and then they go wild for the contents. Some develop from this to a definite habit of pecking eggs open for eating.

With this in mind, is your goose definitely an egg eater? Alternatively, Crows have been going in my goose house and eating the eggs, leaving only shells.

I guess you could try mustard eggs, blow one, fill with horrible stuff and let her peck that open for a shock? Or china or rubber eggs might break the habit- if you can even get these in goose size?

No idea what would have caused it, eggs are more likely to get broken if they have thin shells, so is diet ok? Or if there's little nesting material, does she have plenty?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS