Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pruning plum trees - when?  (Read 20066 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Pruning plum trees - when?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 01:23:52 pm »
The most important rule for pruning stone fruits is to do it when the tree is growing fast - probably June. This way the pruning wound heals over much more quickly reducing the silver leaf risk as already stated.

Prunus trees don't need pruning in the same way as apples and pears, unless you are growing restricted forms such as espaliers of fans. Generally it is just a case of removing the odd branch here and there that is growing through the middle and crossing other branches
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 08:45:09 pm »
My Damson and plum trees haven't been pruned for years, but I did them last June, any crossing branches, overly tall ones, unhealthy looking branches e.t.c  They've all survived so far, but am interested what the next harvest will bring.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 08:49:45 pm »
I think with the plum family it's a feast or a famine anyway, so it may not prove anything either way
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 09:03:27 pm »
True, they do tend to alternate with their years of plenty.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:23:03 pm »
Just a couple of little tips.

As already mentioned, plum are susceptible to disease entering the cut wound when pruned. Therefore, make sure the pruning saw or secateurs are washed clean before and after pruning each tree so as to avoid passing on diseases from one tree to another. Warm water will do or some dilute bleach if you want to be extra careful.

Have a bottle (or can) of stuff to paint on the larger cuts to seal the wound before the tree has a chance to grow and seal the wound itself. Anything larger than half an inch diameter can benefit from a coating of the stuff. This can make the pruning process a bit tedious but it is worth it.

If you get fungus growing on the tree, it is very difficult to remove completely and you may do more harm than good if you start cutting the tree back to remove diseased branches. You could try a systemic fungicide but risk contaminating the fruit. However, leaving the fungus growing on one tree is inviting it to spread to the other trees in the orchard (dilemma!).

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 08:41:30 am »
Thank you for all the tips and advice  :)  every time I venture into the orchard I get nervous lol!! so many trees!! not made easier by the fact my 3 year old has "broked legs mommy - I can't walk!!" and I end up carrying her  ::)

last year was a bumper harvest, we only moved here in the june and house was empty for nearly 3 years so trees' untouched in that time. hubby made amazing wine so hoping we can do the same this year!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS