Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaning kids  (Read 1750 times)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
weaning kids
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:27:25 pm »
What age do you wean kids from dairy goats.  They're about 7 weeks and separated at night for the last week, taking some hard feed but not enough yet.

Possibly selling a couple of kids off mum, I've only sold them older before.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: weaning kids
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:53:13 pm »
I leave mine together to decide for themselves. They've usually stopped bothering to suckle by about six months.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:10:07 am »
i've got twin girls, about 6 weeks old whose mum decides when they feed, she shouts when its teatime and they come running but the rest of the day she's miles away grazing and they stay close to the shed and cause havoc so anyway the point I'm trying to make is that the way they are going they will be weaned in a few weeks. Just keep an eye on how often they feed off mum, how much water they drink etc and are they grazing.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:33:04 am »
Depends what you want the kids for. If you want them to grow into good strong dairy goats I would keep them on milk until 6 months or so, but if you sell them off for meat maybe earlier is ok.

All of mine (incl boys for meat, 100% dairy breeds) stay on milk until 6 - 7 months.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:54:45 pm »
These are dairy x and will be for meat but someone might want some as pets.
Normally I'd leave them till about September.
thanks always interesting to hear what others do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS