Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dog walker fence.  (Read 7500 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Dog walker fence.
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:02:33 am »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:07:12 am by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dog walker fence.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:30:21 am »
100% in agreement with what he has done.  High time people stood up for their rights!  This will protect his own cattle, and protect walkers from them
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:36:06 am »
I agree with it, but it is way over the top.  Could have used stock fencing, or prettified it with post and rail as well. (At much lesser cost)

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:24:30 am »
this guy is a legend, i think he used big fencing incase people damaged standard fecing to get their dogs over as they had previously. it about time people realized somebody owns and cares for the land and are trying to make a living off it, not just for your dog to poop all over.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:48:54 pm by Big Benny Shep »
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 10:27:11 am »
that was the best option too him the land is wanted to make prime hay, dog poop and hay is an aweful combo...

the locals refused to acknowledge his rights to farm the land by adding the fence he protects his substantive investment...

I just wish id been closer to get the contract for it :-D

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:15:22 pm »
Good idea, dog s**t is a menace. Some owners don't care.

This weekend I watched a bloke and his dog walking on the canal towpath, I was working a lock . Mr Lousy dog owner watched his pet crap right where people would walk to go work the lock and just left it and walked off.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:33:03 pm »
My neighbour is scrupulous about worming his sheepdogs regularly.  He has a footpath crossing the farm.  He lost two sheep in a week to leptospirosis.  'Nuff said.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 03:16:50 pm »
Um..  leptospirosis is caused by a bacterium in urine.  Worming has no effect on it. ???

Maybe you meant neospora?  But that causes abortion in cattle, and there is no wormer for it.

Confused!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:54 pm »
My neighbour is scrupulous about worming his sheepdogs regularly.  He has a footpath crossing the farm.  He lost two sheep in a week to leptospirosis.  'Nuff said.
Leptospirosis (of which there are a number of variants)  is the world's most common zoonotic disease. It is carried by a wide range of animals including cattle, pigs, sheep, foxes, squirrels, deer, rats, badger, hedgehog, but I think it's fair to say the most prolific spreader of the disease is the rat and its lack of any sort of bladder control. Put simply, it urinates or dribbles continuously!

Preventative vaccine is available;
http://www.northdevonvets.co.uk/the-new-leptospirosis-vaccine-lepto-4/

Check the NADIS link; http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/leptospirosis-in-cattle.aspx for important info on Leptospira hardjo.
"Leptospira Hardjo is not carried by vermin or wildlife but sheep can carry and excrete Leptospira Hardjo therefore mixed grazing is a risk factor."

A handy downloadable information card;
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg84.htm
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

PatsPoultry

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 04:47:59 pm »
I have a problem with dogs in particular one man that regularly walks four or five dogs at a time, he allows them to foul the road and then kicks it into my field, even when confronted he refused to move it, he said "it was too difficult with so many dogs", I am at a loss as how to deal with this individual.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:16:34 pm »
I have a problem with dogs in particular one man that regularly walks four or five dogs at a time, he allows them to foul the road and then kicks it into my field, even when confronted he refused to move it, he said "it was too difficult with so many dogs", I am at a loss as how to deal with this individual.

whereabouts are you? I thought it was an offence to not pick up after your dog-maybe a chat to your local council dog warden?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 07:18:31 pm »
Most councils would call that an offence.   

I might suggest be helpful (!) .... using gloves and a bag of course ...... help him pick it up (cos you realise it is hard with 5 dogs)  and send him home with it!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

ggennett

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 09:02:42 pm »
I can't believe how many people think that putting up such an offensive looking fence is commendable just to keep a few bad eggs of my land. I really do hate the people who leave there pets crap everywhere especially dog owners but the many horse owner who let their horses crap in the street are the same. If there is a problem then surely he should have put up a fence and encourage hedge's arond his property and used the law against the offenders. Bad enough we have these types of fences in the inner cities putting it round a field in the country he must have more money than sense.
I am sure most people are like me and have a real issue with the way people think they can just dump things and I include not just the pet crap but the litter and fly tippers must have watched the wombles too much as a kid.
Rant over  :innocent:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 09:56:20 pm »
tbh I have no idea how anyone can find horse crap offensive-its just grass and disappears after the next rain. People used to run out to shovel it up and compost it when I was a kid.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:07 pm »
quote "and used the law against the offenders"

didn't know there was a law that worked.
Sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS