Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloat? Help!  (Read 5774 times)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Bloat? Help!
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:04:32 am »
I have just given my lambs their bottle and the boy is acting really strange. He was bleating and stretching out and his back legs looked a bit wobbly. Just really odd behaviour. Felt his tummy and it is not hard.
Left him half an hour and went back out and his 'sister' came running over as usual but he did not get up and I had to walk over to him. He stayed down while a gave him a tummy rub. He managed one burp. I lifted him to his feet but he's down again now. He's a big strong chappy about 7/8 weeks.
I have looked at all of the threads on here and found some fab advice about oil, water and bicarb which I am going to try. My question is- can I just put this in his bottle, or does it need to be syringed into his mouth or does he need a tube into his tummy? I have not tubed before and would rather not, but will do if I need to. If he does need a tube, the vets is a 30 min drive away and I'll send my OH, but in the meantime, what should I do? Leave him be, walk him, rub his tummy?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Bloat? Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:02 am »
Leave him be. Don't tip anything in. Phone your vet for advice.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:24:55 am »
Does his belly actually look bloated?
If so, syringe the water/oil/bicarb mix it into his mouth.
Massage his belly in a circular motion, try to keep him on his feet, walking around if possible.  All these things will help him burp/fart it out.  Keep at it for half an hour or so.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:50:26 am »
yes a bit on his left side. I will keep walking/ massaging!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »
What is making you think it's bloat if his tummy isn't swollen/hard?

If it is bloat, if he'll do sucky-on-your-finger you can probably get him to drink the concoction, which will help him.  If he won't suck it would be better to tube than add to his woes by getting the concoction in his lungs!

Massage his tummy and keep him upright will help too - if it is bloat.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:20:26 pm »
OK, maybe I am just an over worried sheep mum  ;) I have rubbed his tummy an he did a couple of epic burps and now is completely back to normal! :relief:
 If he sucked some air in with his bottle could he have had trapped wind?
I assume that as he is OK now, I don't need to feed him this concoction?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:23:23 pm »
btw you can maybe buy tubes at your farm supplies store.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »
Good news. Yes he sounds fine now, no need for bloat concoction.  I'm glad you shared - I'm sitting here with a big grin on my face.  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 02:33:27 pm »
Thanks guys! No doubt I'll be back for your fantastic advice again!

sarahdean_66

• Joined May 2012
  • Yelling Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 02:54:54 pm »
You can also use infacol on sheep if nec.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS