Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: electric fence troubleshooting  (Read 9315 times)

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
Re: electric fence troubleshooting
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 09:27:02 am »
Midtown.... sorry but my information is totally correct. You if you make sure you have a positve connection to both ends of your round the field run then you have a much better electric fence !!! I was not suggesting in any way that you connect one end to positve and the other to the ground as that would just be idiotic !!

You are correct in your statement that the animal completes the connection !

I run continuous unbroken loops round all my fields to ensure no loss over a long run..... same principle as a ring main in your house !

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 10:23:45 am »
So how would I ensure a continuous circuit - just make sure that one ends connects to the other?
I currently have both ends starting/finishing on the same post but on separate insulators - should I just tie them up on the same one?

In the meantime I have found at least one faulty knot (in the second hand roll of tape, I left the knots in assuming 'they worked before' but maybe the old knots are corroded)- will see if I can get some tape connectors locally to replace knot, otherwise I'll try a new knot, and keep testing!
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 10:37:17 am »
we tie ours in knots with no bother.

out of interest if your area of electric fencing is T shaped and therefore not circular - is it better to just use a single wire or use 2 strands to make the loop continuous?
we have just used a single wire as i thought doubling the length would slow the pulse by half?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 10:55:50 am »
straight lines work fine, loops have the added advantage of faulty joints being less of an issue, obvious;y is still wont help if you a have a short.

lady k join the 2 ends together, then test the furthest point on the loop...

obviously if you have 2 bad joins you will have a dead patch in the middle somewhere!!!

i should start an electric fencing installation consultancy!!!

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 11:10:35 am »
Apologies 90driver, late night following a busy day and not engaging brain before hitting keyboard! ;D

Yes, a continuous loop will be more affective than say, a single wire system dividing a field as in strip grazing. But, the single wire should still provide sufficient 'zap' to be effective. Hence my comment that you don't need a complete loop.
I was not suggesting in any way that you connect one end to positive and the other to the ground as that would just be idiotic !!
I don't think I implied anyone should contemplate doing so either!
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

90driver

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Independent Land Rover Specialst
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 11:13:42 am »
 ;D

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 01:43:49 pm »
Very pleased to report - fixed!  :thumbsup:
It was just that one rmangy/rusty knot, but I learned quite a few things from you here before being able to sort that out. Also connected the line back to itself in a full loop, and now I have nice strong current all the way along the line.
Thank you so much for your inputsuggestions and help with this - you TASers are just so brilliant!  :)
Will use your additional suggestions when I attempt to install the extra loop to close off the hay area next
(hope I won't need any more consulting  :fc:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 01:56:08 pm »
well done...

this is what TAS does best...

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 11:24:45 pm »
with regards a tester which you can use in sunlight I have made one out of a reversing light bulb with a reversing buzzer incorporated (about a fiver from motor factors) bit of wire soldering and bob's your uncle a fence tester that lights up and also sings to you!! :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS