Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wild Garlic  (Read 13320 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Wild Garlic
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:44:24 pm »
I have just discovered some wild garlic. I often hear of fancy chefs using it but I have never seen it before.
There are several nice recipes on line but I wondered if anyone had a favourite for me to make.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Wild Garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 06:38:53 pm »
Use it in a bottle of olive oil  about a third or so of the bottles worth put the leaves through the mortar and pestel with some pine nuts makes a delicately flavoured oil - you can top up the oil acouple of times also

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 07:54:52 pm »
We got loads around here - I love it!
Gives you a more subtle hit of garlic than bulb garlic would do. It's considered a super healthy herb in Germany, by the way.
The flavoured oil is a great idea. I make a pesto-type thing in the food processor, with olive oil, crusedh walnuts and a bit of parmesan. I use it on almost anything - just make sure you just about heat it up, not cook it or it will loose its flavour.makes boiled potatoes instantly posh, great to finish a soup, put a spoonful in salad dressings, as a topping for baked fish, or a slasa for grilled meat...
I have also eaten it wilted like spinach, and chopped it like any other herb into pasta sauces, fired mushrooms, scrambled eggs...
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »
Thanks both, some interesting ideas there.  I have a sea bream to cook so may make it as a topping for that. It also sounds nice on boiled pots.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 08:08:02 pm »
we just eat the raw leaves in salad. Apparently the buds are a strong part and can be put in oil as they are... not tried it yet.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:04:04 am »
It was always a big thing in Switzerland. The children would go out into the woods with school at about this time to pick the first leaves of 'bear onion'. There I've seen it chopped up fine and mixed with sour cream as a dip and also chopped up and mixed with pasta and butter as a sauce (created by the children of the forest playgroup so I don't know whether it's just because it was an easy one pot recipe to cook over their fire). I've just found some growing wild here (having tried to grow it from my Swiss seed and failed). I use it for anything that would benefit from a little subtle 'oomph' - most recently in a green salad.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:51:50 am »
I dug a load up recently, with permission, and have planted them all here. Won't know until next year whether they've taken or not but know where to find them now
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 08:04:51 am »
We have lots around here too - the smell as you walk past is just amazing.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 08:08:17 am »
The smell of it makes me heave. 
The allotment next door to me has some which has spread over to my allotment. I was on the verge of throwing up while I was digging about 3 clumps of the stuff out.  Yuk!
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 09:19:44 am »
I ended up making a creamy mushroom and wild garlic sauce for pasta. It was quite nice but not sure I will be rushing to get some more.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 09:53:02 am »
I have never tried it but from the smell of it I guess it has a very strong taste.  The smell is very overwhelming - I walk quickly past with the dogs.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 10:13:20 am »
the white flowering wild garlic leaves taste quite mild.
I haven't tried the purple stuff

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:20 am »
I have never tried it but from the smell of it I guess it has a very strong taste.  The smell is very overwhelming - I walk quickly past with the dogs.
It isn't that powerful. Less so than garlic cloves

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 11:32:51 am »
The leaves should be even milder once the flowers have opened (but it's all a matter of taste of course)
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS