Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pygmy entire billy - how big?  (Read 3419 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
pygmy entire billy - how big?
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:03:28 pm »
Among my rescue goats I have three little registered pygmy female goats.  The two male ones are slightly taller, but no wider.  Never having seen an entire pygmy, just wondered exactly how big them are in relation to the female?  I have Bobby, but think he is a bit too big, to get nice sized pygmies, and anyway, want to use a registered billy on the three girls if possible.

The reason I am asking, is that I have been offered a young pygmy billy (entire).  But as he is not yet 12 months, he may not be fully grown, and before thinking of taking him, I would like to know if he is a proper pygmy or not!!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: pygmy entire billy - how big?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »
James is the best person to answer this I should think. Adult ones I have seen, are really quite small- maybe about 18inches tall?

*Edit* I have just googled the Pygmy goat club, and males at the withers should only be a maximum of 22inches. http://www.pygmygoatclub.org/general_info/breed_standard.htm

It alos says they grow until they are 30 months old- similar to dairy doats.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: pygmy entire billy - how big?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:49:04 pm »
Thanks Beth.  Maybe I should take a measure with me!!  The lady said he is about the size of her boxer dog, and they are not over large are they.  There again, he may grow a bit more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS