Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An "udder" silly question  (Read 2076 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
An "udder" silly question
« on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:20 pm »
Sorry, couldn't resist the pun. 

From the "rig" post I'm guessing that an udder on a "barren" ewe means they're not barren.  How much udder is enough udder and is there any way of telling when they'll have their lambs. 

I usually scan and know dates but our ram seemed to be firing blanks and I left him in with them for ages but one of his ewes is now wide and has a small udder.  The scanner said she was a "maybe".  How do I tell the difference between overweight and pregnant? :thinking:
Never ever give up.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: An "udder" silly question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 02:28:08 pm »
Its an udder catastrophe

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 03:14:30 pm »
I wish I knew.  Udder wise I am hanging about waiting for them to lamb :roflanim:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:02 pm »
Have an udder look at her vulve.  Large, pink & soft?  Udderly likely she's pregnant.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 07:10:23 pm »
my "barren" ewe spent the winter in with the ram.  I notice 3 weeks ago that she was more triangular shaped than square shaped, when you look from front or behind.  Had a tiny udder, literally a handful!  Brought her closer to home and a week later her udder was a bigger handful, then monday night she started pawing the ground.  Her vulva hadnt changed at all, udder was seriously not bagged up, but out popped 2 weeny little ram lambs!!  Still not got a huge bag but lambs are full and content. 

Udderly amazing!!   :)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:27:17 pm »
 :roflanim:

What an udder surprise!  Good luck with your lambs - hope she can feed them - with her diddy udder.
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS