Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shears  (Read 2489 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Shears
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:35 pm »
I am thinking of buying some electric Shears  , can anyone recommend any that don't cost a fortune but will do the job for me.
I will only have between 8 and 12 sheep at most, 4 of them being ryelands . I could get someone in but want the freedom to do it when I have spare time rather than try to make time when someone can come  :-\
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Shears
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:51 pm »
I have a set of lister laser 2 clippers with both horse and shear heads. They are fine for small numbers but I found hand piece too big for my little hands so I'm going to sell them. They work off car battery which is great if you don't have power.  Not sure how much they are worth but let me know if interested. Take a look at lister website to see what they are like.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:13 pm »
Thanks. Any idea on what your wanting for them and are they in good condition ? 
Graham

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:42:40 am »
I gamblled on a pair of cheap ebay import sheep clippers and an inverter for the 4x4 or tractor battery and apart from being a bit noisy they worked fine for dagging last year. I was being very careful and didn't get any nicks.

I'm less confident in them for attempting a fast full shear - probably more my abilities to do that at a decent speed than the clippers as such: They look and feel right enough.

If i had more than a handful of sheep I'd have gone for a known brand.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:58:43 am »
Everything is in excellent condition. I only clipped horse about 6 times, if that and used shear head for 2 seasons. All blades, cutters etc were sharpened each year. New it's all worth about £300+ and horse clippers are selling for £160+ on ebay so possibly would look for around £200.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS