Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone any experience with a chronic pneumonia in a young lamb  (Read 3524 times)

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
OK, I wrote about this lamb 2 weeks ago. She's coming to the end of her 14 day jag and having picked up and been running about etc. over the last two weeks she has today become crackly today when listening to her chest. She is bright and alert but evidently not well again.

Proposing to call the vet again tomorrow, wondering if she is ever going to kick this out of her system of if this is just going to be the pattern....frustrating.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Anyone any experience with a chronic pneumonia in a young lamb
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:59:13 pm »
Alamycin, but worth getting her checked out too, what is she like when she s drinking, perhaps she s taking a little down?

one of ours is a bit dizzy when he has his bottle, get get it down himslef quick enough so ive changed his bottle to a volac one and he seems much better and i make him stop every few seconds to catch his breath.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:08:02 pm by Hellybee »

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:34:59 am »
I had one with suspected pneumonia from milk in lungs and I gave two courses of synulox which worked well.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:40:40 am »
Long courses of Penecillin are a lot more likely to work than your Alamycins etc. Loooooong. So is it worth it?? If so get making your pin cushion

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:46:22 am »
Use what your vet recommends.  Unresolved pneumonia leaves the lamb open to other infections that a healthy lamb would shake off, as well as worse strains of pneumonia.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:50:49 am »
Is she vaccinated? 

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 12:40:24 pm »
Not vaccinated yet - bit scared to if she's under the weather. My plan is to do them in the next week or so all being well.

She must have inhaled some milk the other evening. Very crackly chested and freaked me out especially as she was coming to the end of her course of antibiotics. Keeping my eye on her but the following morning she was not crackly at all.

She rarely drinks more than 200ml at any one time but is always happy to drink and is nibbling at creep too. They are all 5 weeks now. She's only 6.9kg compared to the other two who are 11.5kg.

Bit unsure of how to play the weaning situation as I can't split them up.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »

Bit unsure of how to play the weaning situation as I can't split them up.

I make a pen within a pen, or lift out the lamb I still want to feed, and just carry on bottling the one(s) I don't want to wean yet.  You'll be surprised; after a day or two the other lambs will soon realise they're not getting any and stop pestering.  You can then just bottle the one you want in the pen, pushing the others away if they do come up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS