Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long does a broody take to get used to foster chicks?  (Read 2066 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
I tried putting a chick under a buff Orpington broody but she just kept squawking and didn't let it come underneath her. Does it take a while for her to get used to them?
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: How long does a broody take to get used to foster chicks?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:18:13 pm »
Has she hatched some herself?  I waited until mine had hatched hers and then slipped the others in  early morning and she seemed to take straight off.  If yours hasn't done the sitting/ hatching bit, not sure how that works..... Good luck

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 05:40:04 pm »
You have to wait until she has had hers then slip it under her at night when it's dark as their eyesight isn't so good in half light.  Chances are she would accept it then.

If you put it under her during the day, even if she has chicks of her own, she is very very likely to kill it (giving it a good peck) as it is a threat to her own getting food.

You have to be careful doing it, making sure the chick you are putting in isn't bigger etc.

Nowt's simple  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:31:06 pm »
We've always done it at night with no problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS