Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Big tuff cockerel all soft & sloppy today  (Read 2341 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Big tuff cockerel all soft & sloppy today
« on: May 04, 2014, 07:35:18 pm »
Our biggest toughest cockerel went to J (the wife) and brushed her leg until she picked him up (we rarely pick any of them up, too many) turns out he had a poorly eye, closed up and he was very disorientated anyways we cleaned his eye which obviously hurt him, a small amount of cream added popped him in our poorly pen (first time we have ever had a cockerel in the poorly pen) he seems to be doing well, I hope he survives, it took us 2 years to find him and he is due back in service on Tuesday

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Big tuff cockerel all soft & sloppy today
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 07:40:10 pm »
aw poor chap ... hope he makes a speedy recovery :)
Little Blue

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 08:40:49 pm »
Aw, poor lad. Hope is fit and well soon

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:28:25 am »
Oh, hugs to him. I've had more problems with cockerels than hens strangely. My big buff boy is normally a complete macho man - chases up and down the fence whenever anybody comes close - but I took him into school recently to meet the youngest children and he was brilliant with them. Off his home territory he was much calmer but still confident enough to cope with 14 small children wanting to touch him (unlike the hen who had to retire early).

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 01:21:53 am »
Clever boy - he knew you'd help him  ;D
Hope he's improving.

Ryder

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:51 am »
Clever boy - he knew you'd help him  ;D
Hope he's improving.

There may be something about cockerals knowing their human owners will help them when they have a serious physical injury.  This is the second time I am hearing a cockeral go up to his owner for help. The last one actually happend in front of me.  My grandmums cocekrel came home from a day out foraging with blood all over his face and what seemed to me to be damaged eyed.  Probably got into a fight with a cat or a neighbours cockerel.  He walked sloppily straight over to my grandmum.  I couldn't belive it, he was hardly ever picked up and always ran away from humans previously.  My grandmum fixed him quick though with good old fashioned methods, and next day he was happily recovering getting back to his former self.

After seeing that, and now hearing what andy's cockerel did, i'm beginning to think maybe there is something to it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:25:58 am by Ryder »

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:06:54 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS