Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gelding  (Read 2716 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Gelding
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:05:31 pm »
I had my 3 year old skewbald Shetland colt gelded this morning.  He would have made a super stallion and I felt sad gelding him but the hope is that once broken I can get him a good working home. At least now he will be easier to keep until that home is found.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Gelding
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:41:38 pm »
Hope he's recovering well  :fc:

pigalicious

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Caithness
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:36:27 pm »
Hope all goes well for him. Its always sad (I think) gelding a colt that you think may have made a good stallion. Alas there are more than enough stallions and owners partaking in indiscriminate breeding. Some will disagree i'm sure, anyway hope he works well and you find him a good home!

P

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:35:06 am »
Benny has recovered well but the bill came in at the weekend. £274. I was told when I made the appointment that cost would be around £160-£200 so was  bit shocked that it was more. He was knocked out which must have put the price up. Seems a lot for a Shetland when Toto who is over 14 hands was the same price last September.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:22:37 pm »
That is expensive. My fells were about £250 each 3 yrs ago and they were just sedated. I suppose it takes the same length if time whatever the size, it's just usually the anaesthetic that is more.

Hope he finds a good home

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS