Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Preparing for farrowing  (Read 2449 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Preparing for farrowing
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:19:02 pm »
Doreen's piglets are due 23rd/24th/25th of this month  :excited: :pig: :excited:.  I am just looking for some advice about how to 'organise' her.  Currently she and Delilah live together in our orchard.  Once the piglets are born and veryone is settled and happy, they will move to a fresh space to give the orchard a rest and them something to graze/dig on.  It is the inbetween bit I am looking for advice about.  Is it best for Doreen to have her piglets indoors, or outdoors?  Should I separate her and Delilah completely (although really don't want Delilah to be by herself!), spearate them but so they can still touch noses and so on, or keep them together?  If the advice is to separate, when can they go back together?  We can be pretty flexible, can accommodate most arrangements, just want to do whatever is best for the pigglies.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Preparing for farrowing
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 07:48:03 pm »
IMO its best to separate the pregnant sow to her own quarters for farrowing about a week before her due date this gives her time to settle in and prepare her nest for the babies. She can still be within nose touch/sight of the other girly but not so other can pinch, roll on or kill the piglets either on purpose or accidentally.
See www.gospbc.co.uk tab pig management for more info on farrowing.
The big girls can usually go back together either when the piglets are weaned or if you are 100% sure the other pig will not attack them when they're 3 or 4wks old(personally I wait until weaning) You will find Doreen will be very protective of her young and she might be aggressive with Delilah and see her as a threat to her young so be aware.
You can big fuss (even more than usual) of Delilah so she doesn't get too jealous of Doreen & the piglets. Best thing to do is play it by ear, you know your pigs best.
Good luck, exciting times ahead.
mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:00:31 pm »
Last time round Delilah and Daisy (OSB) had run together throughout their pregnancies, farrowed next door to each other and went back out into the field together (separate arcs) when the piglets were about a week old, so I don't think she'd be a threat.
But apart from that, ditto Mandy  ;) a week before is plenty time for her to nest and settle. Keep us posted  :excited: Love baby LB's  :love: :pig: :love:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:43 pm »
Thank you!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:18:51 pm »
Great advice above. You are going to have such a great time. Nothing more exciting than your first litter of piglets being born. Have you got your farrowing kit ready yet? Drop me a message and I'll send you what's in mine.

All the best,
Liz
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 07:42:09 pm »
I think I've got everything I need Liz, but if you could either post on here, message me on here or email me louise@mowhaugh.co.uk what's in yours to check, that would be brilliant!

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:16 pm »
That seems to have gone quick!

Good luck and enjoy the piglets  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS