Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Organic sheep rearing (lambs)  (Read 3763 times)

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
Organic sheep rearing (lambs)
« on: May 05, 2014, 12:52:30 pm »
I would prefer to rear my lambs organically without routine worming. Is there anyone who currently practices in this way who can offer any thoughts and guidance?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Organic sheep rearing (lambs)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »
I don't do it but have worked on places that did.

You need to be able to rotate grazing, have low stocking densities, and really you need cattle too so you can graze cattle then sheep then cattle, so each species eats each other's worms.

I think you would also need to be turning lambs out onto pasture which hasn't seen lambs for at least 12 months. 

If you are in a fluke area you will struggle to keep them fluke-free, unless your ground is especially dry for the area.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »
Get familiar with FECs

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 03:01:31 pm »
About to spend three weeks with FECs on a project in India so hopefully I'll be able to develop my FEC skills for veterinary care :) :thumbsup:

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:08:49 pm »
I rear 1000+ lambs to organic standards every year

Key is clean grazing (lamb onto pasture that has had no sheep on for a year or more)
protein rich leys help---clovers
Sensible stocking densities
Low stress system

I have also been breeding for worm resistance for 20 years (FEC EBVs & dagg scoring)

I sometimes end up having to treat a batch of lambs with anthelmintics once in a year

There is more to producing lamb organically than not using wormers though

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:17:01 pm »
Thanks that is really helpful. I only have three so stocking density not exactly huge right now. I don't expect I will ever be farming quite to your scale but I am keen to gain knowledge of the holistic system. Just starting out right now. Thanks for your input

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »
Can you tell us more about the project in India?

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 05:20:44 pm »
Yes, I am  a second degree grad student approaching my 4th year (Veterinary Medicine) and am working as part of an initiative aimed to improve veterinary education, health and welfare in farm animals in India. This is a collaboration between Edinburgh university and Kerala University. I personally will be looking and the health issue in the keralan goat herd, gathering information and looking for efficacy of anthelmintic treatments that are routinely used out there. That's the basis, the final details are coming together at the moment.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 05:45:21 pm »
Do I detect the hand of Messers Scott and Sargison?

sophie_aj

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:20:06 am »
Yes. The latter is supervising the project.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:27 am »
Look into grazing chicory too as part of your pasture rotation.  There are a few articles on the web if you google.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 12:47:40 pm »
The man loves his worms fair play

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS