Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI  (Read 5320 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
AI
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:47:23 pm »
No, not artificial intelligence...  artificial insemination!
Anyone tried this with goats?
Is it easy to source? Where?!
Or is a stinky, randy billy goat better for the girls?

Just wondered...   :goat:
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: AI
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 10:36:51 pm »
Sorry cannot help on that one - only have experience of horses and AI.

Never heard of AI in goats - but some of the top breeders may use it, if they want a particular billy, and live a long way off!!

I know with horses, it can be quite expensive, as you have a few people involved, and it is not always successful.

At least with the billy, its usually either free or very cheap!!

Are you wanting to put Margo to a sannan billy?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »
Hi,

AI can be done in goats, and some people do use it. We haven't ourselves, but my mother has been on a course to learn how to AI. And I do have friends who have used AI. A company just outside Edinburgh also do AI and it isn't too expensive, but you would need to get some straws organised.

http://www.innovis.org.uk/

A good source of info is Christine Ball, who often runs AI courses. She can also let you know who is able to AI locally to you, and also let you know what straws are available http://www.goatgenetics.com/intro.html Her contact details should be on this site.

The thing is as AI isn't used very often in goats, there isn't a lot of information on how successful AI actually is. It can be difficult to get a goat to hold to the AI, so I believe the conception rates are quite low. I have a friend in Dumfries who insemminated several of their own goats, and none of them held- whilst she did one for another friend, she did hold and she had triplet females!

I can get a contact number for Christine Ball if you want to investigate it further.

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:31:44 pm »
Thanks,
It was just a thought really, we dont have a trailer at the moment, or able to go very far to a billy.
Margo has been giving less milk (but could have alot to do with her being blooming awkward and not standing still very long, and a little less to do with Geraldine still drinking lots)
so we were thinking whether she needs freshening (Yes to a Sanaan billy - do you know a good one locally, Roxy?!)
though I'd prefer not to, as she is still quite boney Imho.
Little Geraldine is quite insecure, I'm not sure how well she'd cope just yet if her surragote 'mum' was away for long to see a strapping billy!

advice much appreciated, I'm happy to admit its needed sometimes!
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:39:55 pm »
Re Geraldine, I fully understand, as goats do form a bond, and I know mine do not like to be parted from their "friend".  If we can help transporting Margo to a billy, we will.  I never left my goats with the billy ......just when they were bang in season, and bleating like mad, we took them, let him serve them and bring her back.  Always was successful, just watched three weeks later, but never had to repeat the journey.  So hopefully, Geraldine will not need to be on her own more than an hour or so.  And at least she has the pig for company?!!

Will keep my ears open, but off the top of my head, do not know of a sannan billy near here.  Jasmine is a sannan, but we are hoping she will come up in kid to Paddy (Britiish Alpine).  Smaller goats will hopefully be in kid to Bobby.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 07:08:48 pm »
Thankyou, might have to take you up on that!
I'm not too fussed if we cant find a sanaan, as theyre not registered pedigrees. though it would be better obviously for passing on the kids..
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »
Well if your chosen breed of billy is not to be found, you are welcome to use our handsome Paddy, or if you want something, smaller and wider, then Bobby would be happy to oblige.  You are likely to get a nice mixed black and white goat  ......our old goat came out like a friesian cow colour, but went on to have pure white BS kids, and then beautifully marked BA ones the following time.  I like the guessing what colour the kids will be!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 12:29:53 pm »
 8) thankyou. we milked Margo early this morning (took her by surprise!) and she gave more in one session than we've had each day this week.
Maybe she is just the most awkward goat in the world!  She doesnt like being milked early as a rule
 ::) :goat:
Little Blue

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 09:53:54 pm »
 :)hi i have been talking to a guy that has used ai and had mixed results inc triplets. the thing is a lot of breeders that keep male goats that show have to have cae tests and scrapie tests so will not allow any goat without these certificates to use their males any more, making mating not as easy as it was a few years ago.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:29:33 pm »
Have you tried singing to Margo, while you milk her - or have a radio on while she is milked?  Some goats are prone to being difficult, and do not let all the milk down, there is a knack to getting them to milk right out too.  Maybe Margo was in a good mood today?  My goats used to give a lot less milk as winter approached, although upping their bucket feed would help.  I am not a lover of over feeding goat mix etc.  much prefer fibre in the form of hay or haylage, as too much hard feed can cause problems.   I was lucky in that some of my goats milked for quite a long time without getting in kid again, and gave a good amount. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS