Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am i looking after my saddleback pigs ok?  (Read 11352 times)

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
Re: Am i looking after my saddleback pigs ok?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 08:21:10 am »

Hi Everyone,

I'm just taking one day at a time. my 6 pigs are outside having a great time.  ;D
I have a friend who has a friend of a friend who breeds pig's who is going to come out & view my barns/ Land to see if it will be suitable for having more pigs. I just wanted to ask, can you mix new pigs with the pigs you have had for a while? Or will they fight?  :pig:

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 10:46:02 am »
Hi Nat,

Well done, you seem to be on the right lines. When I was starting out a couple of years ago, the most important thing was having experienced support. Get yourself friendly with other local pig breeders (there are loads in the south west). The British Saddleback Breeders Society can be very helpful (club secretary Richard Lutwyche is always happy to offer advice) - go to www.saddlebacks.org.uk

You say you're thinking about breeding, just make sure your male and your female aren't related (sorry if that's patronising!). The best way to start breeding is to get an experienced sow already in pig. An experienced Saddleback (Saddlebacks are superb mothers) sow will know the score and you will find the farrowing a lot easier than with an inexperienced gilt. Keeping a boar of your own is expensive and only worth it once you have several sows - a boar needs to keep active otherwise he will get bored and aggressive and (so I'm told).

And I don't go along with this nonsense about not giving them names. You'll get attached to them anyway, especially the first few, and their lives will be all the better for that. Far better to call them Eric and Ernie (for example) than 'the one with the black spot on his belt' and 'the one with the sock that goes just about an inch above his knee' to identify them.

All the best,
Malc

nat2211

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Somerset
My pigs have gone off their food
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 01:40:06 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thank you all again for the fast replies. I am not considering breeding at the moment, i am just fattening them up ready for meat.

But my 6 pigs seem to have gone off their pellets, they are eating all the other fruit & veg, but leaving alto of the compound food. They also seem to have very runny poo,

is this a sign i am feeding to much? They do not seem to be coughing, or sneezing so do not think they are unwell, & they get up to greet me but just not eating compond food.

Also a farmer has offered me milk that has gone off & formed a solid lump, he says this is OK to feed the pigs but i am unsure? And also the puree from cider apples? is this OK to feed them?  :-\

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 04:34:31 pm »
This is just my personal opinion - if they are not eating the pellets, first try changing the brand make sure there is nothing wrong with the pellets.  If they still dont eat them I would seek veterinary advice, I dont think we have ever had a case of a pig refusing pellets except Hilary when she had constipation.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 10:11:13 pm »
Try mixing your own feed with the veg....just be careful to get the balance right. I hate the compound nuts...and so do my pigs.

I found that acidic fruit and veg (tomatoes etc) tend to give mine the runs too....so only in moderation.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS