Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Welfare and Planning  (Read 3559 times)

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
Pig Welfare and Planning
« on: April 28, 2014, 05:03:18 pm »
Hi all

I'm hoping for some advice, experiences etc

We keep 3 OSB sows, we don't live with our pigs but we do have a caravan on site.  I'm currently arguing with planner that we need to stay on site at farrowing time.  So they agree that we need washing/tea making/shelter but not any overnight provision (We don't live there and don't intend to).  It's common sense to me that in the best interests of the pigs I need to be there around the clock sometimes but I'm having trouble persuading them of the needs.

Hopefully our vet will be providing some supporting evidence.  But what I'm asking for help for you lovely pig people is
Welfare literature that supports this (I can't find anything specific on defra)
Expert testimony, I know a lot of you have very successful enterprises rearing pigs to the highest welfare standards.  If anyone would mind writing to me with why on-site care is essential, with your credentials ie your business/book/courses and you don't mind me giving this to the planners.
Any other sources of evidence you can point me in the direction of

We are just trying to run a small business and hopefully can when we get past the bureaucracy. As a idea of the level we are dealing with a councillor stated all we need is a land rover and a flask!

All help greatly appreciated.

Laura

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Pig Welfare and Planning
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 08:35:03 am »
the main bit of welfare is the

Welfare of Farmed Animals Regulations 2007.

You don't say which part of the country you are in, but this link will get you to all four versions

England http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2078/contents/made
Wales http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2007/3070/contents/made
Scotland http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2010/388/contents/made
NI http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisr/2012/156/contents/made

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 09:21:59 am »
I have a 12x12 metal shed with a ply floor sofa and log burner in it.....a caravan without wheels? Lol

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:37:09 am »
Would they really know if you actually stayed there overnight? Most councils only function 8.30 - 4pm mon - fri and after that forget it!
Don't know why you've asked them anyway, all you've done is put yourselves on their radar!
As its only going to be now and then IMO i'd forget about getting their permission and Nike (just do it!)
Mandy :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:11:06 pm »
Agree with Mandy, you have made the situation worse by asking them they will be watching your every move now. As they say ignorance is bliss. :innocent:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Sasha

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:07:14 pm »
We had a similar situation with our horses as we lost a foal at birth due to us not being there round the clock.  But we were told afterwards that we'd have no problem with planning etc due to us needing to be there for livestock and horses.  I suppose it depends on how picky your council is, but I'd have thought it was a must.  With us it's the neighbouring farmer who is a **** over it.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 05:20:36 pm »
pigs do farrow all round the clock - but they can be injected to farrow during the working day as this is what big pig farms so staff are there to assist. the breeder we got our pigs from also stated she never got up at night to help with outdoor farrowing - as a rule.
how can they stop you visiting at 11pm or 5am?

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 10:24:08 am »
isn't there something about a 28 day rule? you can stay 28 days a year with out any planning? that would cover farrowing!

Laurasfarm

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Wigan
    • Laura's Organics
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:36:19 pm »
Thanks for the replies

We didnt put ourseves on the radar.  We have one extreme nimby neighbour so our every move is watched (through the hedge mostly) he's made a complaint about everything since we moved there.  The 28day rule only applies to camping not to caravans. 
I didn't think the council would notice how many nights we stay there but unless we can prove we need the caravan for the running of the farm it won't be there at all.
Were not a large commercial unit and dont wish to run that way.  I wouldn't induce my pigs unless medically necessary and the loss of sow or piglets due to lack of supervision would be financially and personnally devestating

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 07:06:58 pm »

We didnt put ourseves on the radar.  We have one extreme nimby neighbour so our every move is watched (through the hedge mostly) he's made a complaint about everything since we moved there

we have one of those. horrible things  :innocent:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 07:53:37 pm »
Why not ask nosy neighbour if he minds keeping an eye on the pigs for you as you're not allowed to be there all the time and see how he reacts, just a nice chat and maybe a dozen eggs to sweeten him.
Lots of people like him are scared of what they don't know and and to people like him caravans mean gyspsies, give him some reassurance and see if you can get some mutual communication going.
It may even help you in the long run from a security point of view if he's a curtain twitcher.
Mandy :pig:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:14 pm »
My understanding of the 28 day rule is that it includes up to 5 units, including caravans (not statics).... But you would have to maybe move it off after to show willing. It is also ok to store a mobile caravan on your land I thought? We put a cover on ours when storing, just to differentiate.... Love the idea of asking the neighbour to roll his sleeves up ( in nicest way)  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS