Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long between anitbiotics and vaccination?  (Read 1931 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
How long between anitbiotics and vaccination?
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:21:03 am »
How long do I need to leave it between giving a lamb antibiotics (Alamycin LA) and his first HepP vaccination? Roughly :)
Is a week enough?  (assuming whatever it was given antibiotics for has cleared up)  or would longer be better?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: How long between anitbiotics and vaccination?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:33:13 am »
Ideally don't vaccinate a sick animal as the immune response is likely to be poor and it's thought less likely to work. I would suggest if the lamb is now looking fit and well jab it along with the rest. If not pop a bit in the fridge and wait until he is well. ps. you wont get a definitive answer to this as drug companies do not test their products along with all others.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:35:09 am by Me »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:38:36 am »
I asked our vet this exact question and he said 48hours, I left it a week though until the lamb was totally back to himself (he had an abscess and was quite ill with it).

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:28 pm »
I asked our vet this exact question and he said 48hours, I left it a week though until the lamb was totally back to himself (he had an abscess and was quite ill with it).

Blimey.  I thought the LA antibiotics persisted in the blood for about 4 days, and I assumed this would have an impact on the vaccine.  I think, like you, I'll go with a week or more.

Thanks both.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS