Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New kitty  (Read 4134 times)

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
New kitty
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:15 pm »
Newbie to cats.......
Hubby came home from work today(farm) with a kitten,  :cat: thought to be about 8/10 weeks old, there are quite a few and he thinks it would be good for us to have two cats about for vermin control etc! He could only catch one today...I have put it in one of our empty dog cages in the house and i went and bought a litter tray, cat litter, food etc. It doesnt really want to be anyones friend just now! I thought it would be best to keep it/them in the cage for a while to settle. Am I doing this correctly?? Will it settle? How long do you think it will take for it to settle and be friendly? When will I be able to let it out? In the house or outside? Help!
Hopefully he will catch a friend for it tomorrow!  :P

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: New kitty
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:59:18 pm »
It should settle quite quickly when it realises you are its only source of good food.  But if they are feral cats they may not ever be tame enough to handle.  Depends what you want them for - if they are to be outside cats to keep down vermin than they do not need to be handled much once they have had their jabs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:23:15 am »
Patience and don't let them out yet. They can't be neutered until about 6 months and you'll want to be able to catch them for that.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:24:40 pm »
My advice to you is take it to the vet for an HIV test, its rife in feral cats in our area ( North East of Scotland ) although it can not be passed on to people its a slow death for a cat and can appear at any time. A simple blood test is all that is needed.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:15:21 am »
I've never kept a cat in a cage but I think that its a sensible idea. It will take several days before the kitten gets used to all the sights and sounds. It will need a dark hidey hole to watch you from. perhaps a cardboard box with and old jumper in it? Even if its feral you may find that it will take to you. They have such individual personalities. Good luck and tell us what he/she is up to.
kirsty

Jakebob

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Stirling
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:32:22 pm »
Thank you all for your kind advice. Kitty is doing just great she is our best friend, loves sitting in the window and also in front of the coal fire!! Its a great life being a kitty in our house.....has also started playing with her toys, she is sooo cute!  :cat:

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:35:22 am »
This may sound a bit daft but if you put something in there with your scent on it may help them realise that you are not that bad.  Whenever I send my cat to the cattery, a week before I put an old pillowcase on my bed.  It then goes with the cat to the cattery.  I think it helps as my scent is with it in new surroundings.  Or maybe it just makes me feel less guilty in leaving him.  But an unwashed jumper or Tshirt may get them use to your scent.  Hope it is a help.   :cat: :chook:

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:06 am »
Ive tamed alot of feral kittens, and its realy easy, just let them get used to you and the surroundings for a while, then let them come to you in there own time, you soon work out the types of cat eg which like attention and which like to be looked at an not touched!  :P
Also id definitly do the cat aids test! A couple of the tamed kittens ive rehomed have had this problem
Good luck  :) :cat:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS