Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unusual?  (Read 2069 times)

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Unusual?
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:33:23 am »
Had a smashing set of twins born at 2am this morning to a shearling ewe (she lambed as a ewe lamb last year).  The first lamb was a real chunky chap but she lambed him fine without any assistance.  What was really odd though was that after the first lamb, the afterbirth came completely away.  As I don't have them scanned I wasn't sure there was a second lamb (although she was certainly large enough!) and so I thought that must be it and moved her and lamb in to a pen.  However, after about 30 mins I could see a nose and feet - there was no bag or anything and she pushed out the 2nd lamb very quickly.  A second afterbirth came away about 1.5 hours later. 

I have never encountered an afterbirth coming away before a second lamb and wondered if this is unusual and also if perhaps this might have been associated with the lack of any bag or water discharge (as if bag had burst inside)  at all prior to the second lamb?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Unusual?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »
I am a novice so no real help but when our first lambed this year her second twin was born dead. I spoke to the vet and he asked if I had seen both afterbirths. I had picked afterbirth up but didn't realise that each lamb had their own afterbirth (biology was never a good subject for me)
With the subsequent lambings I have taken much more note of what was expelled and have certainly 'picked up' between lambs being born.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »
No idea but glad both lambs are well  :thumbsup:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:16:21 am »
I don't think any of our ewes has had that, so it is certainly unusual. However if both lambs are fine then that is good.
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:39 am »
I THINK (but am now wondering if I have just imagined this???) that if they are what we would call identical twins in humans they would share a placenta, but if they are non identical they would have a placenta each.

I haven't experienced one coming away before the second one is born, but I guess it might depend on where abouts on the surface of the womb it was attached?  There's always something new to learn!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS