Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambs with diarrhoea.  (Read 3100 times)

simon sheffield

• Joined Apr 2014
lambs with diarrhoea.
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:33:09 am »
Hi all, I have two new born lambs and it looks like they have very runny diarrhoea is this normal and what could it be if it isn't.
Thanks load's.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: lambs with diarrhoea.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »
Speak to your vet asap.  Did they get colostrum straight after birth?  Born in a shed or in the field?  Did they get licked/towelled off and a jacket of some sort if it was a cold night?  You need to keep them warm and make sure they don't dehydrate.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:24:14 pm »
Some of our lambs pass  loose 'yellowish' motions for the first day or two ..... wouldn't call it diarrhoea but it is 'gooey'. Sticky and soft. Caused I think by lots of milk. We have one ewe who always has a huge bag and even with twins almost too much milk for them .... her twins are always loose to start with.

Could it be this?

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:58:36 pm »
what consistency is the "diarrhoea"?  If it runs like water that's not good, but as has been said a sticky gooey yellow stuff that sticks to the tail / straw  and everything else it touches is sort of normal for newborns.  Make sure they are not "pinned" ie it has set solid underneath the tail not allowing any more poo to come out - if so you have to clear it.  ;D
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:50 am »
Diarrhea in lambs is quite serious. What I usually do is feed them on honey and water for a few feeds and see what happens. It could be an infection, too rich milk and also too much milk. How about putting some sheeps yoghurt in their milk along with a little bit of water and then sweeten it with honey.
I hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS