Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly girl - any ideas?  (Read 12750 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Poorly girl - any ideas?
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:27 pm »
My BS girl who is due to kid on 3rd May, scanned with twins, is not well. We have had 2 vets out, neither of whom really have any idea what is wrong. On Saturday she didn't want to get up and come to get her breakfast. Vet came and said she has a bit of a temperature but it wasn't anything obvious like pregnancy toxaemia and gave us some antibiotics for her. She did get up and move around a bit on Saturday and we noticed she wasn't wanting to put weight on one of her legs. We found a nasty tick bite that was very swollen. Today she is back to lying down all the time. Got another vet out to look at her and she said that the tick bite wasn't likely to be the problem. She wondered if maybe her large udder was making her sore. There is no mastitis - her udder is not hot or lumpy and milk taken off was clear. Vet said maybe to strip some of the milk out to see if it helps. Her udder is very large compared with her companion who is due a week earlier. She is still on the antibiotics. Does anyone have any idea as none of our vets have much goat experience and I am really worried about her.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Poorly girl - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 09:18:00 pm »
Low on Calcium? I would give her a Calciject injection - mine get about 30 ml (for a GG) to 50ml (for a big BT), warmed up and in two or three places under the skin, normally just over her ribs.

if she isn't eating much, I would also drench with Ceto Phyton (or a twin lamb drench), more just to make sure she doesn't run out of energy.

Any titbits you can tempt her with?, Will she get up to go for a walk with you?

It could be that one or both kids inside aren't doing that well... :( the high Temp would point to some sort of infection?)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:27:53 pm »
Does she have some sort of bloat?  (from eating I mean) Is it just the pressure of the twins inside - perhaps one sitting awkwardly inside - getting big, stretching her more than she can take - when is she due?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »
Sorry forgot, you will need a 50ml syringe with a thick needle to get the quantity into her as quick as possible. They don't like it.

If she is due 3rd of May - no chance she was caught by billy three weeks before and is due to kid anytime now? Just a thought, I don't know your set up is re access to boy.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:43:22 pm »
I don't think she is low on calcium as she gets Alfalfa as part of her ration plus the yeast supplement that I feed has added calcium. She also gets the Dennis Brinicombe minerals.

She is eating as I have taken her food to her, though she is maybe only having half at a time. She is also having the haylage that I have put next to her. She just doesn't want to stand up and is making very pathetic sounds when I go and cuddle her.

What do you think might be wrong with the kids Anke?

Definately due on 3rd May as she was covered on 4th & 5th December and Billy only came to stay on 22nd November.

I don't have any twin lamb drench here at the moment. Until I can get some in the morning would something like some molasses help as I have that?

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 10:30:13 pm »
Our 3 ate less and less as they came up to kidding, we've had them shut away from sheep so they could graze it all day. I would think if she has a sore leg, that with the extra weight of kids would make her not keen to get up. If she is eating away, on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, id suggest getting her up, physically if need be, several times daily to allow her to wee and pass gas, but sounds like the treatments should help. One of mine did get milk fever, and I'm wondering whether its cos they had access to haylage, which is higher in calcium, just the last couple of weeks. Dairy farms often drop the cattle rations of calcium in the lead up to calving to get them to mobilise calcium from the bones and reduce the shock to the system that lactation brings. Tick may or may not be relevant, there are various things carried by ticks, but symptomatic treatment is often all you can do for the viral ones anyway. Temperature could suggest infection, and any infection or fever in pregnancy can cause abortion, so hopefully antibiotics and antiinflammatories will get it under control. :fc: for her and her kids, but sounds like she's getting all the nursing care to help her fight whatever it is off.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:40 pm »
Louping ill? Do you know if it is in the sheep locally?

Hopefully not, hope it's just that she's sore, tired, heavy and achey.

Ellie (my goat who's just kidded) had such a huge bag, I milked her off a couple of times, just to ease the weight and pressure (and then froze the milk, and then colostrum, in case someone else needed it).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:00:55 pm »
If she is still eating something plus haylage/hay she is probably not so bad that you need to do something right now (may be famous last words), and getting some twin lamb drench in the morning should be fine.

Yes having read quite a bit on milk fever, I am with fsmnutter on dropping the Alfalfa down, as Peter Dunn (in Goatkeepers veterinary book) also describes why. (as fsmnutter describes too)

Also - giving her a shot of Calciject is not causing any more harm, and may just give her the Calcium boost she needs - a goat(or sheep) that is lethargic and doesn't want to stand at this stage of pregnancy is most likely to be short of Ca (and energy) and therefore weak. Stress of any kind can also cause milk fever, so a fight/disagreement, you may not even have seen it?

I don't know what could be wrong with her kids, but the high temp is pointing to some kind of infection/inflammation in her system. Giving the dam ABs/AIs is really all you can do at this stage for the kids.

Is she a 1st kidder - their udders often are enormous quite a while before they kid, in comparison to older nannies who only "fill up" a day or so before they are due. That is definitely my experience. Unless the udder is hot/sore and possibly leaking I wouldn't touch it - if you do take milk off at this stage I would freeze, although I don't know when the nanny starts to make actual colostrum. If you do open up the teat canal now I would recommend to use a teat dip (or just a good antibacterial spray or iodine dip you use for kids' cords) to make sure you don't end up getting an infection/mastitis as dirt gets in when she sits/lies on her udder.

Sorry probably not much help here... an it's getting late. my brain is kind of gone to sleep...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:32:43 am »
although I don't know when the nanny starts to make actual colostrum.

I had to take milk off Pom several times in the week or so leading up to kidding. I didn't think about freezing it in case of need but just used it. It was thicker than usual and with a distinct 'taste' that wasn't unpleasant but wasn't the usual taste of milk. I just assumed it was colostrum so I would say that it's probably there in the week before kidding.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:40 am »
Have you checked on the symptoms of tick bite diseases such a lyme's? Ticks can carry several hundred types of disease so it seems like the most likely candidate to me if all else is well.
Our dog Fousty was very sick for a whole 10 months after a tick bite in her groin. it made her lethargic and affected her joints. She had inflammation and looked as if she was in pain all the time, couldn't jump onto a chair or the bed any more and just lay around feeling poorly. Her lymph glands in just her back leg muscles swelled up after a while, which the vet thought was very odd so they removed one to send away for analysis. Results came back rather inconclusive but that it was some inflammatory problem, just not exactly what.
She made a recovery just as fast as she went downhill after 10 months - the vet agreed with me that in hindsight it fitted the symptoms of lyme disease as well as anything else so we have always thought it was probably that. She can dance on her back legs again now (remind me to show your boys, they will love it) but does have a bit of arthritis in her hips occasionally ..... although now that could be her age of course.

Forgot to add, she had a high temp as well when she first became ill.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:51:40 am by JulieWall »
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:10:35 am »
I did wonder about Lyme's disease so I asked the vet to do a blood test for it yesterday.

I have read so much conflicting information on calcium intake in the late stages of pregnancy that I have been really wondering what is best to do as some sources recommend maintaining calcium intake. I will cut out the Alfalfa and give her hay instead of haylage and see if that makes a difference. She has a slightly high temperature rather than a lowered temperature so is milk fever less likely to be the cause?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 09:23:43 am »
Yes, milk fever is usually early lactation, and often shows as weak, with head on ground, and cold, and wont usually eat very much. Temperature suggests infection or inflammation, which is being treated for. Louping ill or lyme's (or the other tick borne diseases) are mostly treated the same way as you are going, antibiotics, antiinflammatories and nursing. Just could take a while to come right.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 09:25:19 am »
It is just my first point of action for any goat/ewe that is within 4 weeks of lambing/kidding and down/lethargic/no appetite - is to give a shot of Calciject, plus ceto phyton/twin lamb drench and in the case of goats a shot if combivit. It has so far always led to recovery.

I don't know anything about Lime's disease not being in a tick area and never had them on my goats.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:16 am »
Calciject every time................it cannot hurt but it can save a life.    The kids if born early (7/8days) will be viable............two weeks early and they wont be.   

Pregnancy toxeania would be my thinking at this stage..............it is VERY common in goats.

Feed her with anything that she wants,  even digestive biscuits !!!  Ivy without the berries, fresh leaves.......all good.   You have got to keep her eating................it can stop suddenly with Preg Tox.   so be prepared.

She is most likely short of calcium.............the babies take a huge toll on the fam.  Your Vets are really not very helpful................ask other goat keepers in the vicinity which practice they use.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 09:46:15 am »
There aren't many goat keepers around here so that is probably why the vets aren't much help. Can I get the Calciject and Combivit at the ag merchant or will I need to get them from the vet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS