Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One Lamb box left  (Read 6910 times)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
One Lamb box left
« on: October 03, 2009, 12:04:26 pm »
HI All,

6 Lambs going in on their final journey on MOnday...and come out Wednesday in boxes  :sheep:

5 Lambs booked, but I've got one spare - either a Whole or Half lamb and which can be sent by overnight courier (gulp - this is the first time I've done the 'Courier' thing......normally deliver en route back from the butcher  :-\)

Whole lamb - £85 - £100 approx (will depend on end weight) plus £15 for Delivery
Half lamb - £45 - £50 approx               Ditto                            Ditto

If anyone interested, drop me an email to:    faithmead@websdc.com

Thanks for lookin'

Oh.....and gonna have the 'skins' back this time.........so lots of salt to be bought early next week  ::)   .... this is gonna be another 'First'

Cheers
M.

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

HappyHippy

Re: One Lamb box left
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:31:14 pm »
Okay, so I'm not very familiar with sheep (as these questions will undoubtably prove ;))
Why the salt ? What are you doing with the skins ?

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 02:57:15 pm »
Think sausages  :yum:

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 07:49:06 pm »
Is it not the actual lamb skin including fleece which can be made into a rug........the salt help to harden the skin.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:01:43 am »
HI Guys - yep the salt is for the skins. ;D      It helps to draw out all the 'liquid' to help preserve them and stop them getting eaten by maggots and such like.    There is also a layer of fat that has to be scrapped off  (yuk).... ::)     I've never done this before and I could just send them off to one of the tanneries to have them 'done'.....but I thought I'd have a go myself first....Apparently they'll keep for ages and ages in a container once they've been salted.....Or so I've been told!!     

I'm kinda thinkin'   "nice fluffy lamb rugs"    but I have a sneaky suspicion that they may not look like the picture in my brain - once I've had a go at them  :P
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 03:20:38 pm »
You can only learn from your mistakes!!

PS I win the coconut for my answer!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 05:24:03 pm »
Blinkers, I thought it might have been for rugs, but wasn't sure (having a bad brain day!) have a look in the crafts section there are 1 or 2 posts about fleece washing and processing. I don't want to put you off, but I think it's quite difficult to get good results doing it at home. But if you do have a go, remember to show us photos
 ;D

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:30:09 pm »
A friend has just told me that I might not be allowed to have them back.......Could be 'illegal' in Wales !!!!     :-\    Oh well, will find out tomorrow...and let you know.  ;D
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

winshamrarebreeds

• Joined Sep 2009
  • north devon
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 01:25:10 pm »
You should be allowed to have them back, I know someone who has all her lamb skins back makes them into rugs and then sells them at the farmers markets, i know this is in england, but should be the same rules

joy turney

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 05:20:39 pm »
I approached my abbatoir/butcher about having the skins back and he said that I couldn't as it is classed as a by product, which HE must dispose of.  If I wanted them back then there are countless forms to fill in and send for approval.  Good Luck.  That is what I wanted to do.  Let us know how the process is getting on.   :cat: :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 06:06:18 pm »
I approached my abbatoir/butcher about having the skins back and he said that I couldn't as it is classed as a by product, which HE must dispose of.  If I wanted them back then there are countless forms to fill in and send for approval.  Good Luck.  That is what I wanted to do.  Let us know how the process is getting on.   :cat: :chook:

Is it possible that this is a 'perk' for the abattoir or butcher?  Presumably they could easily find the facilities to have them tanned and sold as rugs?  I bought my sheepskin rug from Ikea for only £23
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:13:00 pm »
I saw a posting about skins being returned from abattoir. Have to seek out.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:22:23 pm »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 06:23:34 pm »
That's a poultry link
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »
Try this instead  www.organicsheepskins.com          Look under the tanning section as same info there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS