Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which wormer?  (Read 7483 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Which wormer?
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:44:25 pm »
I know this is a regular question, but following new rules
(some wormers not to be used for animals who will produce milk for human consumption)
I can't use the sheep wormer I used to.
So I'm desperate to get a wormer for my 2 newly kidded girls before I let them out.

suggestions please?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Which wormer?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 04:49:36 pm »
What new rules and which wormer?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:21:29 pm »
are you selling milk?
I have used "eprinex pour-on" on our goats on the vets advice which is safe for dairy cows with zero withdrawal for milk and 15 days for meat. does the creepy-crawlies too.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 07:21:59 pm »
I've seen a query somewhere whether pour on cattle wormers work on goats, but where can I get some Eprinex? vets or agri merchants? You must obviously be happy with it.

I can't find my notes jsut now,
I've used Combinex and Rycoben, but they carry a warning.

From Rycoben website -
Withdrawal Periods
Meat - Animals must not be slaughtered for human consumption during treatment.
 Sheep may be slaughtered for human consumption only after 3 days from the last treatment.
Milk - Do not use in sheep producing milk for human consumption.

and I've been told this goes for anything which will ever produce milk for consumption.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 07:45:35 pm »
Ahh.. this just means that it has not been tested for residues in milk, and definitely not goats.

The usual advice for any medicine used on goats under the cascade system from vets is to double the withdrawal time given for goats (if it is) or not use for at least 7 days.

Cascade system just means that the vet is able to prescribe any medicine licensed for use in animals but not goats to goats, but not give any warranties

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »
I read our bottle of wormer today out of interest. It's Noromectin, and it too says don't use if sheep producing milk for human consumption too. We have used it previously, take it turns to dose the milkers, and use the milk for the kids only for 10 days or so.

Beth

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 09:46:51 pm »
eprinex definitely has zero milk withdrawal as long as you get the dairy one - there are 2 types, one for beef and one for beef and dairy. we get it from our farm shop or on-line (its cheaper) and we used it as a precaution for lice in goats as we had a few bald patches. vet cleared it.  I saw on another forum that it has been used on hens, though its not licensed for them.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Eprinex-Pour-On-for-Cattle-250ml/productinfo/EPRIN250/

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:49 pm »
Its difficult to work out for goats!
Under "the cascade" we can prescribe anything as nothing licensed for goats, however we have to be careful as the time it takes drugs to be broken down enough in milk or meat to not be harmful have not been established in goats. As such, our best options are to use drugs allowed in milking cattle, and apply that withdrawal period.
Recently, the major fluke treatment triclabendazole (one of the ingredients in combined among other brand names) has been re-classified, such that most formulations should not be used in any animal that at any time will produce milk for human consumption, with the exception of Fasinex 240, licensed for use in dry dairy cattle with a 50 day milk withdrawal, ie use in dry period and don't drink milk til 48hr post kidding.
hope that may help
Suzanne

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:47:44 pm »
does anyone know the dosage for Eprinex for Does?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 07:55:49 pm »
we just did the same weight per kg as cattle. no ill effects. the bottle is easy to use as you just squirt out into the cup in kg rather than ml.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 08:34:46 pm »
The trouble with Eprinex is that you are only supposed to buy it for cattle. You can't buy it from hyperdrug unless you provide your cattle flock number, registered name and weight of cow! Not sure if they check out the flock number you give or not.

Your vet can prescribe it, or if you have a friendly agric shop, they might sell it to you- but technically they aren't supposed to if they know you don't have any cattle.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 10:42:14 pm »
Mine came from the vet as a prescription for heel mange. Worked a treat for that, Used the same rate per kg as for cattle.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 01:25:22 am »
Thanks for all the advice, got some noromectin today, they did have another that I hadn't heard of, so lucky this one had been mentioned here,
Next question, if I worm them say Friday morning, how fast does it work so when can I turn them out and not shedding worm eggs about?
And presumably if manure heap is left for a year its OK to spread on the land?

And just to throw another into the mix - if I have 6 geese grazing the land (mainly in a 5 acre field), would these help at all in breaking the cycle? they prefer the short grass.
I'm hoping to divide this field into 4 so eventualy I'll have about 7 or 8 small paddocks to move them round regularly. (in theory ::) )

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 09:11:44 am »
Geese will help to break the cycle but not on that stocking density. Once you have divided the fields rotate the goats through them with the geese following then resting the field and that should help.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 01:17:55 pm »
We use Verm-x which is 100% natural (herbal) the only draw back is you give them it for 7 days each month, we start ours 1st of each month it is in pellet form and goes in with food.  We have not had any problems with our goats and have now bought a liquid form for our dogs. It is safe to use while they are pregnant and assume as it is herbal would be ok for human consumption while milking but have emailed verm-x today to double check.
You can also get free samples (for loads of animals) and money off vouchers from the verm-x website or buy it from ebay.
Hope this helps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS