Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: She's not well...  (Read 10906 times)

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
She's not well...
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:48:37 pm »
Evening all...
Right, a few days ago I spotted one of my Ewes, a Cotswold, was lame so the Next day I carried out the purple spray and foot shears. I caught her while eating, trimmed the rot off, picked it out, purpled it and sent her on her way a bit better then when I caught her.
Yesterday I fed them and noted one wasn't there, I went looking and found her lying down under a tree, unresponsive and un moving etc.
I've had her in since then, I believe it is Twin Lamb disease and so I've been giving her a syringe full of Lucozade (to broke for drench!) every half an hour. Her condition has improved!

Symptoms were, partially blind, unable to stand, rapid breathing, runny poop and reluctance to eat, since I have been giving the Lucozade she has become more responsive and has attempted several times to stand.

What do we think could he wrong, Am I right?

Cheers
Archie
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: She's not well...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:29:34 pm »
I am afraid I don't understand your "too broke for drench" - a bottle of twinlamb is not much more than a few bottles of lucozade...

But she will also need an injection of Calciject and ongoing TLC/drenching until (and IMO also afterwards) she lambs successfully)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 02:19:12 am »
Symptoms are classic Twin Lamb disease.  I'm sorry to say this, but it could well have been brought on by the stress of being tipped up and having her foot treated.  Very pregnant ewes should not be tipped up for this reason.  Their lameness usually improves as soon as they have lambed, and you can tip them up and sort out any ongoing issues once they have lambed and the lambs are settled.

You are doing the right thing giving her glucose.  Lucozade is a reasonable alternative to a Twin Lamb drench but I agree that she will have a better chance if you can get the right stuff into her.  You can get a 2 dose bottle of Collate MultiLamb for less than a tenner - and it may save the ewe and her lambs.  If you can't get a TLD drench, at least get some vitamins into her - Combivit or similar.  The vet may be able to sell you a smaller amount than a whole bottle to reduce the cost.  They may also be able to supply you for little money some glucose solution, which would be cheaper even than Lucozade. ;)

You could also give her some probiotic yoghurt - Yeo Valley or similar, a natural one not a fruity one - and try other things to tempt her to eat - hay, straw, ivy (just a little, they often like it when they are poorly - but too much would be poisonous), digestive biscuits (again, just a little), some people make up porridge for them!

If she's down, you will also need to make sure she is getting enough water to drink.  She also may need you to lift her backend up so that she can pee.

I would give her calcium - Calcijet or similar - too.  It's less than a tenner a bottle.  You have to warm it to blood heat before injecting.

:fc: she continues to improve.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:25:34 am »
Archie - will your parents loan you some money to be able to get the required drench your ewe needs?  In the long run it is likely to save your ewe and lambs.  Twin lamb disease is a huge killer if not treated properly and if she is an aged ewe (as your other previous post suggests) then she will need that little bit of extra TLC to make sure she has enough reserves to feed her lambs and that her milk quality is sufficient for them.  Good luck with her and your other ewes.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:02:23 am »
A cheap alternative to a proper twin lamb drench is a mixture of milk, molasses and egg yoke. If you dont have molasses treacle might do?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:18:51 am »
None of the suggestions above are a cheap alternative to twin lamb drenches. Tipping sugar into the rumen in different forms can only do so much good before it starts doing harm - ph drops and you cause acidosis, the rumen works less efficiently and you compound the problems. Treating for other problems such as vitamin deficiency may make you feel better but wont help her.
The chemicals in the twin lamb drench that you need are metabolised in the rumen to sugars slowly, my suggestion is forget all the pick me ups and drench with ketol (same main chemical to twin lamb formulations), add a little sugar and coffee if you wish to make it into a home made formulation - not as good maybe as the bought ones for £40 but you have a genuine alternative to collate for a fraction of the price - approx £10.

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:35:10 pm »

If this continues I suppose I could try and get her some drench, besides, any spare could be useful for the others!

Pleased to say she is now eating, if a little slowly, both hay and Corse mix, her water bowl is gradually being drunk aswell. Muck wise, it's liquid and constipated! She looks like she trying to lamb, then PrrrrrrbP! I do also like the idea of the probiotic yoghurt, seams very logical given her obvious gut upset. It is of note that when I moved her earlier to a cleaner patch of straw she very learly stood by herself but overcame to shaking and falling back down :(

I'm optomistic for this Ewe, she was allways one of the easy ones to Worm and is not oposed to being treated for these things. At least this is a sign she's in Lamb!!

Arch
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »
CALCIJECT

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 08:06:45 pm »
She really does need calcium and it's not expensive. Probably cost you more to have her body removed if she dies! An if it saves her and her lambs it's an investment not an expense  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:13:03 pm »
The partial blindness mentioned makes me wonder if there might be something else/different going on, such as Listeriosis? 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:17:30 pm »
The partial blindness mentioned makes me wonder if there might be something else/different going on, such as Listeriosis?
Blindness is a classic twin lamb disease symptom though.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 08:20:34 pm »
Quote from: Marches Farmer on Today at 08:13:03 PM
Blindness is a classic twin lamb disease symptom though.

It certainly is.

Your ewe needs Calciject, as Anke says, as well as twin lamb drench. You can get it from the feedstore as well as the vets.

As well as the moral obligation, treating her well now will pay in the long run, as you should make money from her lambs, if she rears them herself.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 09:36:38 pm »
Hi Archie,  :wave:

How is your ewe?

I've got no experience with twin lamb disease but think it's probably best if you treat her as people on here suggest. Probably best to do it soon as often there's not time to wait and see. Might be too late then and you'll lose her and her lambs.

Is there a local farmer who could have a look at your ewe for you? Have I remembered right ... are you 16? My son is 15 and the local farmers love to show him how to do things and help him out with all kinds of things. I think they like it that he is interested in country life. He does jobs for them as well. You could try asking someone near to you to just take a look at her.

;D

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 10:28:11 pm »
Mum's stopping in at country wide tomorrow at 9 on her way home from dropping me off... Calciject and Ewe boost are on the list :) I've given her some Lucozade for the night and will give her 2 more in the morning to keep her going before we leave. She has a bit of a shake going on which I pressume is down to deprived sleep (pain and sugar rush). Muck is runny but she's eating and drinking, breathing gently, responding well to waving a hand a foot or so away from her head and is now capable of shifting her weight from one side to the other by herself. Before she was much weaker.

I am 16, when she first came in we rang a friend of Mum's who used to be married to a shepherd and she told me that Lucozade would give her the boost and to make sure she had access to water and hay at least once every half an hour. It's kept her alive so far...

There is a farm just down the road, 400 odd sheep (and some normal ones.......... I'm sorry... I'll leave....) And they've offered me the chance to go down there and get some experience Lambing which I shall be doing at the end of the week! I can Ask Hillary tomorrow.

Thanks again folks! Very very useful Forum!!

Arch

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 10:50:01 pm »
Well done  :thumbsup: enjoy your lambing experience, you'll learn loads  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS