Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: She's not well...  (Read 10904 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: She's not well...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 08:19:22 am »
That's brill Archie.  :thumbsup:

You'll learn loads from the farmers around you ...... I do  ;D

Well done for getting the medication for your ewe. Let us know how she gets on and you might be able to post some lambing tips for us all after your lambing experience on the farm.  :thumbsup:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 09:17:37 am »
Brilliant that you can get some hands on experience, you will learn loads.  Get them to show you everything they possibly can!! :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 12:49:51 pm »
That's good news about the lambing experience.  You will have confidence then to cope with your own  ewes, and have someone to call if you need help.  Fingers crossed that your ewe recovers ok once you can treat her.

There is always something with livestock - you need a stock of all sorts to treat various conditions, and a medical book stored in your head to diagnose what is is wrong and how to treat it sometimes!!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 12:53:47 pm »
Excellent - well done for getting the stuff for your ewe  :thumbsup:

And you'll love the lambing experience. I lambed for a friend the year before we got our own sheep and I just learned sooooo much.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 01:23:23 pm »
Your doing grand, Archie, enjoy your lambing experience.

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 04:33:27 pm »
Thanks all.

Mum decided to call the Vet out today as she wasn't convinced it was Twin Lamb. Vet came down, blood test showed Calcium deficiency (0.7) so is TLD. She is now on Calciject 4x daily and on Drench. Parents account has paid for it all :) Vet thinks she either has large twins or triplets. I hope twins... More likely to live! Her temperature was fine, as was heart rate etc. although she was getting skinny!

This will now continue until she either; dies, lambs (at least 3 weeks away) or gets up and runs away (let's hope!). I'm now preparing the sheds for Lambing!

Thanks for all the help peeps, I'll keep you posted!
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 05:28:55 pm »
Glad you got the vet out. Its better to know what it is so she can be treated properly.  :fc:  for 3 weeks time.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 09:50:40 pm »
 :fc: for her.

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 10:23:13 pm »
She's looking better... All I'm going to say now.
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:49 pm »
Good news that she seems better!!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 04:41:05 am »
Well done Archie, sending good wishes, hope she continues to improve :)

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »
I can see the lambs moving quite clearly in her but she's still 2 weeks off Lambing... Why the heck can't she slow down feeding them, increase her udder and stay alive! They're going to be too big at this rate, how is that fair! 
Ah well, at least the rest are spot on... For now...

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
Well the last 24 hours in that shed have not been merry. She was on the road to recovery but alas she has been down since tuesday, and although the Calcium issue was on the mend, time was not on her side and thus the Lambs are now dead inside her. 2 weeks from Lambing.
She is not opened up at all and therefore cannot abort naturally as it is, the operation to remove the dead Lambs is rediculously expensive and simply not worth it for a Ewe with, at best, a few more years.

As a result of this the only course of action recommended by the Vet is to cease the Calciject to reduce the stess, continue with the Drench as was and hope the universe is on our side although the odds are against us. This is unlikely to end well for us, although the vet reckons the chances are great enough to save a bullet.

I have done all I can.
This is likely to be my first loss.

On a lighter note; I'm Lambing at said farm tomorrow.

Hope all is well with your Ewes.

Arch

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 10:59:15 pm »
Sorry to hear this Arch. I hope she makes it  :fc:

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 09:38:17 am »
Well she's dead. On her way to the kennels today.
That's the end of that :)

Arch

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS