Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Oh, you don't want to keep ducks.  (Read 3468 times)

r+lchick

• Joined Sep 2009
Oh, you don't want to keep ducks.
« on: September 30, 2009, 02:29:04 pm »
I contemplated having a few ducks.  Have a spare bath, thought ducks (as you do).  I recently met someone who very kindly gave me something.  They have geese.  I said "I'm thinking of having ducks".  (Sharp intake of breath) "Oh, you don't want ducks or geese for that matter.  We have had geese for years.  They are dirty, they make everything muddy and they poo is not nice.  No you, don't want ducks".  SO WHY THE B.... H.... HAVE YOU BEEN KEEPING THEM FOR YEARS.   Why do people do that!  Say not to keep an animal even though they have kept them themselves for years.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Oh, you don't want to keep ducks.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »
Maybe they just can't part with them..........

Poultry is for life, not just for christmas!! (obviuosly except turkeys) :chook:

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 03:16:42 pm »
Ducks and geese are very messy, but also very very entertaining. Beautiful to look at and let you know when people are about. Given enough space and plenty of water they almost look after themselves. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »
I have 17 ducks, 12 hens and 2 geese and I wouldn't be without any of them...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »
I have 17 ducks, 12 hens and 2 geese and I wouldn't be without any of them...

Yes, but your land is extremely well organised! ;)  Not smelly, not dirty.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:44:13 pm »
I have 4 ducks and 11 chickens
The chickens poo lots but I think it is improving our very poor soil. The ducks house is quite clean and they seem to poo in the burn - (well field drain is a more accurate description) last week I gave them a huge tub filled with water for fun and they pooed(is that a word?)  in that. So now i have more liquid feed to put on my garden - I'm happy. And i love them all.
We had an business meeting here last week and my husband got a little anxious about cleaning the step and the wooden bridge over the burn so that it all looked respectable - I guess its all a question of perspective. I'm proud of our poultry and their poo I'm not sure that our teenage daughters agree though
kirsty

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:34:53 pm »
We have 10 ducks and they are simply irresistable - despite the mess, which is annoying, but so what. changing nappies isn't pleasant either , doesn't stop many people having kids ;D :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS