Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally back!  (Read 5387 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Finally back!
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »
Hey everyone, I am finally back on the site - we have now moved to Canada and are living on an acreage in rural Alberta and loving it!!  We have around 20 acres and are now looking to start over again with our smallholding.  Hoping everyone is well.  Wish me luck.
Melanie xx

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Finally back!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:14:24 pm »
Wow, what a change. Sounds like a good one though  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »
It has been a great experience.  We have only been here for about 6 weeks but we are loving it already and have settled well thankfully. Now ready to get back to work on raising some good healthy food for my table.  It is damn near impossible to get good lamb (or any lamb) here so am thinking I may venture into that but still have a lot of research to do first x :sheep: :sheep: :sheep: :excited: :excited: :excited:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »
wow, that sounds amazing! You must take some pictures. Canada is one of those places I would love to visit and one of the very few places outside the UK that i would ever consider moving to.

Are you going to do a blog or anything? I would love to hear about how you build up your holding coping with the weather and stuff up there. It sounds fab!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:25:57 pm »
that sounds amazing. I did wonder how you were. did your husband have a new job or was it emigration?

fab news

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:09:08 pm »
Hi :wave:

Glad you have finally settled,  I  have your eglu, love it btw

:hshoe: wishing you lots of luck

Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:08 pm »
Yes, I was in Alberta last year and meat was almost exclusively beef. The steaks were amazing of course, but it did make me wonder whether this was supplier or customer driven?

All the best with your new venture!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »
Wow, how wonderful!!! There are a few Canadians on here I think, although the chances of you being neighbours is pretty slim, I suppose  ;D

Photos os the new place as soon as, please.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:27:27 pm »
Ah yes melodrama, I remember you!  Well that's great, yes I'd love to read a blog too, it's something so many of us think about doing and never do.  Tell us all about it!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

benandjerry

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 09:05:27 pm »
Hello  :wave:  Where did you leave from?  Sounds well exciting.  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:10:38 pm »
Wow, hope you have the thermals with you!

Any goats/cows in the pipeline too?

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:34 pm »
Welcome back, that's a bit of a change from Forfar but I must say if I was emigrating Canada would be my first choice, weren't you planning on going to oz at one point?
Anne

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 05:07:08 am »
Great to 'see' you again !  :wave:

Congratulations on the new place, and yes please please please either blog or write about it here.

I like Canada too, been a few times.  Love the sense of humour ;)  And as others have said, if I'd ever emigrated, Canada would have been one of the places I'd have looked at.  I even got some info about it once, a long time ago.

Yes, it would be very interesting to know more about why there are so few sheep - do tell if/when you work it out.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 09:57:43 pm »
 :wave: Welcome back.

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 05:24:56 am »
aw thanks everyone, I am feeling the love.  I hadn't thought about doing a blog and really wouldn't know where to start!  I'll give it some thought.  Yes we had originally thought about Oz but finally decided on Canada and are really glad we did.  It has been extreme to say the least with temps of -42 on the coldest day.  I never knew how many nose hairs I had until they started freezing when I walked outside! 

Anke, I have sourced some in kid does not far from here that I am going to look at in the next week or so.  As you know though, my girl didn't kid whilst in my care so that would be a new experience - a little scary!

Mojo - hey you!  Glad the eglu worked out for you - it was fab for the period we had it.  They don't sell them here as far as I can tell.

I can't tell you guys how happy I am to be back and seeing how you are all doing.  Rosemary, have read your details on sheep which are stellar as usual. 

Big kisses - pics to follow as soon as I can.
Melanie xx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS