Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens  (Read 2367 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Hens
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:33:38 am »
When I worked at the hospital I sold my eggs to members of the staff. Now retired I found getting 8 eggs a day too much. I did try to sell at the gate but no luck. Now and again I would give my neighbours eggs. Even although I was only asking £1.50 a doz still could not sell any. Just by chance I found a lady keen to have a few hens for her back garden. yesterday she went away with 4 of my girls. I thought why feed the girls to give the eggs for free.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Hens
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 09:42:36 am »
I only have six hens, a few of them quite old so only get about 4 eggs a day.  My dogs have lovely shiny coats, and my neighbours are very helpful and always appreciative of the eggs. My family get some too, and I'm hopeful my ducks will start to lay soon too as next door love them.  I just look on my girls as pets, so they can stay. :love:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:45:37 am »
We have quite a few hens and always too many eggs come the spring. At the moment a basket full of pekin eggs. It often says pekins aren't good layers but ours really lay well. I give some to those neighbours without hens but can't sell many at the gate as our lane is very quiet with no real traffic at all.

We give our dogs raw eggs stirred into their dry food. They love them. Our collie training neighbour said that he thought dogs shouldn't have eggs. Did ask our vet who said it was fine ... only to watch the added calories with dogs like our lab that maybe greedy and prone to weight gain.

Anyone heard how many a week is okay for dogs?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:08:32 am »
I wouldnt give them more than 2/3 per week. I have the same problem atm, I was selling but with family illness I just don't have the time really. am going to get some ice cube trays and freeze some for the winter.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »
Our dogs get eggs but only once a week. I have put in the freezer now and again. The older girls are still here, only gave her last years hatching which started laying January.  She has a turkey and a couple of geese which are pets. just likes to see them in her garden. Never cared for geese myself.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:32:01 pm »
I must be lucky then as I've got lots of friends who want them, even 19 eggs a day I've only got today's eggs plus about 10 here at the moment. The hens are earning their keep so I'm happy.

Last year after paying for their feed and £60 for new ducks I still had just over £100 in my egg pot part way through the summer :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:33:59 pm by twizzel »

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:00:36 pm »
The school gate works for all my chicken eggs  and my local pub buys all the duck eggs (about four or five dozen a week for both at the moment). I've even made it onto the pub's daily doings menu - yay! Still not breaking even on food and bedding costs, let alone paying off housing etc. but they're all happy little creatures!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 10:14:46 pm »
I have 9 hens  and get 6 or 7 a day, we are rationed as there are so many people at work fighting for my eggs  :excited: it pays for their food and as the days lengthen and insects and leftover crops are munched hopefully will pay for bedding. Don't think the eggs will ever pay for the cost of wood and materials for the run and coop, I wanted Fort Knox to keep dodgy locals and the lurcher lads out  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS