Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waiting for lambies  (Read 2721 times)

charls

• Joined Oct 2013
Waiting for lambies
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:37:43 pm »
My first lambs were due to arrive on Wednesday... still nothing yet! How overdue can sheep get before they pop? By my count the first to lamb are now at 148 days since the ram served them. Some of them have massive pink udders and teats so I know it won't be too long  :excited:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Waiting for lambies
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:08:41 pm »
All in good time!  :thumbsup:

If you watch them they wont do it ;)

chonty

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:20:24 pm »
They absolutely wont! This morning matriarch ewe just 'mooching' clearly uncomfortable but nothing showing. Went out 20 mins later ti check on her and one tup lamb on his feet and suckling!

charls

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:30:49 pm »
I'm pleased to report our very first lambs ever started arriving this afternoon... typically the one time when we weren't even looking. Anyway, two sets of twins. Interestingly in one set there was a huge ram lamb and a teeny tiny ewe lamb... anyone seen this before?

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:35:17 pm »
Congrats on becoming a grandad!

any pics?

It's quite common, just keep an eye on the little girl and make sure she gets her share of the milk.

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:19:42 pm »
I often get one larger than the other....Girl big boy smaller this time... But both will be in the freezer by Jan next year!!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 10:57:48 pm »
I've been told that when you get a big 'un and a small 'un, it'll be three eggs, two in one horn and one in the other.  Then one of the pair dies off and is reabsorbed, leaving the other of the pair pint-sized compared to the singleton in the other horn.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS