Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good holiday, bad holiday...  (Read 4773 times)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
Good holiday, bad holiday...
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:31:25 am »
Hello everyone,

We are back from our two weeks in Skye. What an amazing place and we did lots. The weather was great the first week and rubbish the second.  We were staying in a tiny crofters cottage half way between Portree and Dunvegan (the kitchen was the understairs cupboard - told you it was small).

Well the bad bit was very bad...so sad, we had to have one of our dogs put to sleep at the beginning of the second week.  He had been ill and having treatment for some months but even so it was a shock.  He had been out for a walk the day before and was all chirpy and attacked his breakfast with gusto in the morning but within and hour and half he had deteriorated so much there was nothing the vet could do for him. We both sobbed in the vets and when we got to the car.  It was just so sudden.  But we know we did the right thing for him and he had a lovely week before.  Did somewhat mar the rest of the hols tho and coming home was really sad as his bed was still in the kitchen and we keep looking for him in the garden.  Think Sasha is pining a bit too.

Sorry to come back with a downer but we are still upset and knew you guys would understand. Will post later with impressions of Skye.

Helen.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Good holiday, bad holiday...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:45:25 am »
Hi Helen, so sorry to hear about your loss. You have to remember the great week of fun you all had before things got bad and you know he never suffered. You know the old clique - time is the healer. Coming back home to find his things would have been upsetting, loosing part of the family is never easy. :)

sandy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:12:59 am »
It is very sad to loose a family pet like that, I still think about the dog I had to put to sleep a few months ago but at least they had a good last few hours with  your full attention, so many animals get little or no attention and have to live in very cruel situations.......maybe a bit of bad advice but we got another dog the next day as just what we wanted came up near so he helped us sooth our upset and also helped the emaining dog not to feel so alone   xx P.S. Envey your trip to Skye!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:00:50 pm »
Sorry to hear about your pal, Helen.  It's a sad fact of life that our pets don't live as long a us and we always have to let them go.  Perhaps Sasha needs a friend? 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JD

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:23:32 pm »
So sorry to hear your sad news. We lost our family dog of 16 years four years ago and I still cant bring myself to have another dog yet. At least you have Sasha to comfort you.
JD

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:01:00 pm »
Helen, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.  We had to put one of our dogs down just before we went up to Scotland in the summer to see my Mum and it was very wierd.  Even now that a few weeks have gone by when I go to give Ralph a biscuit I still automatically pick up 2 biscuits and my heart aches as I have to put the other biscuit away.  Its hard, ut it does get easier.  Ralph is getting used to not having his bed mate, but has lost some of his confidence which in a way has made him more loyal.

It gets easier to live with, but its hard - a big hug to you.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 07:08:42 am »
Hi am so very sorry, our 10 year old springer is feeling her age very much now, am dreading that time. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:12:47 am »
Sorry to hear about your loss - at least he had a great time and wasn't ill for long. You can't wish for much more than that for them.

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:07:32 am »
Hi guys, thanks for the kind words.  I know we did the right thing in my head, but it all felt a bit rushed and in my heart I wondered if it was right. But while we were at the vet he was visibly getting worse so we know it was kindest. Sasha is about 11-12 now (they were both rescue and Jake was a stray - he is the little ginger one in my pic) and slowing down a lot.  She has a plastic knee from a ruptured cruciate a few years ago and some odd lumps and bumps but i hope she has a couple of years yet.  Jake was about 14 we think but we had only had him nearly 5 years.

Ach well, life goes on. We'll prob get another in due course but my contract finishes next week and we don't know what the future holds as I have nothing else to go to yet so prob not the best time to make additions.

Thanks again everyone.  I know it will get easier.
hfw

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:29:41 am »
Aawwww, so sorry to hear that - and I know how you feel.  Exactly the same scenario happened to us 2 years ago when we went to Dartmoor - 15 year old Lab took a turn for the worse and so we came back with one dog instead of two.....but we knew we'd done the right thing, as you have.    Time heals....and you still have all those memories of all the years of fun, happiness and enjoyment you had with her.  :-*
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:48 pm »
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. It hurts to lose a friend that has been so close. :(
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS