Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis  (Read 3113 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Mastitis
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:35:03 pm »
I have a dairy goat with triplets and mastitis on one side. I stripped her out the other day and gave some antibiotics and metacam. She is still feeling sorry for herself but milk is now running clear but she doesn't like kids feeding. Should I shut her away from them or will that make things worse?

I need to get a more appropriate antibiotic tomorrow from vet as only got Terramycin.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Mastitis
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:26:42 pm »
You will need a penicillin based AB for mastitis, but I have also had to use Noroclav as one of my girls seems to get mastitis that doesn't react to penicillin (but that gets expensive to find out...).

I would stay clear of teat tubes, where you have to put the AB straight up the teat, I have had good results with intramuscular injection.

Have the kids been on a bottle at all? If she has triplets I would top them up with bottles anyway as they rarely have enough milk to feed three as well as the kids need it (about 2 ltrs per kid per day). If the nanny is amenable to being milked that may be your best option - as after mastitis the milk yield inevitably goes down and if the kids are still fairly young they need topping up with milk form other goats or Lamlac. She will be reluctant to let the kids back onto the bad side anyway, and you will have to strip that side out at least once a day from now on, otherwise mastitis is likely to recur quite quickly.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:43:36 pm »
Kids are 5 weeks old and little porkers. She seems to have been feeding them fine until weekend and they are eating a bit of hard feed. They haven't been on the bottle and I doubt will accept it but I can try.

All the clots seem to have cleared with initial strip out and today was the first day her udder filled and I took about half a litre. I will get hold of the vet in morning.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:28:30 pm »
I've always used teat tubes since my first goat became terrified of people after having had IM injections. She didn't like the tubes much either but it was easier than trying to inject her,

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:42:36 am »
Well amoxicillin seems to have perked up poor Thistle but her udder is still hard and despite massage and udder cream I can no longer get anything. It went from normal to curdled then watery and now looking slightly milker but test is empty.

I have been letting her out now as thought sunshine and exercise would help her. Bottle feeding kids but little sods give me the runaround then when caught guzzle the milk. Why can't they be like lambs and just come and suckle!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:52:32 pm »
Have you tried hot compresses? I did that with my first goat when she had mastitis. Hand hot water, wring out a cloth from in and hold against the udder. She seemed to enjoy it until she drank the water while I wasn't looking.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:31:42 am »
I did early on. She seems to be letting kids suckle occasionally which is why I think udder is not very full. I'm getting onto vet today. I don't fancy seeing another udder breakdown and fly off! Had one I. A ewe a few years ago and it was horrible but she did heal and went on to rear a few sets of triplets with help.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:55:02 pm »
Hiya Scotsgirl. I always have mastitis problems nd last year read on net a woman in NZ recommended giving a little of the milk from the bad side if she would take it..I did so, she took it and the mastitis seemed to clear up quicker..I also use pulped comfrey nd hot water with good results. Girl also drunk some of that..hope she comes good.  :fc::fc:
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:58:43 am »
Her udder doesn't look great but kids are trying to drink from both sides. She's eating and seems ok in herself. I am still bottling twice a day but kids are 7 weeks now so hopefully not long before weaned. I will try those tips if I can get some milk out of her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS