Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lack of milk  (Read 2969 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
Lack of milk
« on: March 17, 2014, 05:20:36 pm »
My ewe who prolapsed a few days before lambing seems to be lacking in milk. She had milk at lambing (I checked her udder & both teats to ensure colostrum was abundant). She lambed twins on Thursday night & today I noticed the lambs pestering & pestering, the one looked a little tucked up. Checked her udder & could hardly get any milk out? She's continued on the same diet as prelambing; ewe nuts, ad lib hay & high energy lick, she also has fresh clean water at all times. Her condition score is a 3 & she had Betamox & fluxing after birth as we needed to intervene. Any thoughts or helpful suggestions gratefully received  :wave:

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lack of milk
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »
 oxytocin injection will help in the short term ,  is she eating ok?  no temperature ?? she may need more antibiotics .     Do you know her history
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:49:51 pm by shep53 »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 09:21:55 pm »
Does the udder feel hot or hard?  Could be the beginning of mastitis, in which case a/bs may be in order - fast!

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:12:17 pm »
No signs of mastitis, I've had a good feel. She's a shearling so her 1st lambing. She's eating & drinking well but I would say seems to be lying down more than normal but other than that fine in herself

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:08 pm »
we had a shearling ewe last year sounding almost identical. spoke to vet who immediately suggested abs for mastitis. if lambs are hungry and frequently trying but clearly not getting enough, mastitis is often the cause. doesn't have to appear as the obvious symptoms usually associated with it. 5 days of abs with us supplementing with bottles and she was right as rain. my advice is ring the vet

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:35:26 pm »
As she prolapsed before lambing she may well have some degree of pelvic inflammation or a low grade peritonitis, plus/minus mastitis.  phone vet!

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »
Add pain killers to above! Me

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:17:30 pm »
Thanks for the posts everyone, today things are much better. Lambs seem happy as does the ewe. Goodness knows what happened yesterday? Anyway I'm happy that all seems ok
at the moment. I have fluxin & various antibiotics on hand so will inject if things are not right again. The antibiotics she had in the early hours of Friday were long acting so should have covered her until yesterday. We used Betamox which also can be used for mastitis. I have inter mammary cow tubes too should there be any evidence of mastitis occurring. I've spoken to the vet whose happy with this plan of action. I think sheep like to test us sometimes  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS