Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TICKS  (Read 2946 times)

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
TICKS
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:55:25 pm »
 :(..Hi all having a nice lambing week but just picked a day old lamb and in space of 2 mins 3 ticks were on me.........i hate them... Crovec we have but they are too small/young to use them on... started to administer the adults but just worried they(TICKS) are nailing the little uns.. any suggestions??
how much damage can ticks do to a 1 day to week old lamb ?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:10:20 pm by greedyasapig »

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: TICKS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:03 pm »
Crovect can be used off licence once the lambs are dry but technically you should speak to your vet about any off label medicine use.  Ticks can kill baby lambs from tick pyaemia.  Some carry a virus that hammers their immune system, tick bourne fever, as well as injecting bacteria into the blood stream.  Most hill farms have to treat lambs near birth to avoid large losses with septicaemia or crippled lambs.  Treating the ewes before lambing helps as the lambs get some chemical from the wool when they're sucking.

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:58:32 pm »
Hi Farmvet,
Thanks for comments and advice we have one at 4 days and one at 5 days old and are riddled as earlier i picked them up today after moving them to our garden lawn for a few days and had 3 on me in seconds...
Im going to check them over in the morning and apply small amount of fine spray to them... i have no choice We are in France and not sure Vet would be aware of Crovect?....
Im guessing its the very mild winter barely saw a Tick last year even on the Dog..... :(

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:24:55 pm »
 Would you have the same problems obtaining  DYSECT      ZERMASECT     or  COOPERS  SPOT-ON  or you must be able to buy sheep dip ? dilute it and spray onto the  sheep  .      Human  tick repellent containing DEET  may be of some limited help ??

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 09:56:30 pm »
Administered 2/3ml  of Crovect pour on onto disposable gloves onto lambs backs and rears....
when a month old i will give them the 10ml as directed....
All seems well by dusk this evening i will keep the thread upto date.

I do have some some rub on Fly strike cream that contains Deet ...ill give them a week and check over them then and maybe rub some on.
Thanks again
Wayne
Wayne.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:12 pm »
 Please re-read the instuctions , it says lambs under 10kg  5ml crovect in a pin stripe down the centre of the back from the top of the head to the top of the tail , then in 3wks give 10ml .      IT must be applied as a pin stripe to allow it to spread in the wool grease all over the body

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »
AH Thanks..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS