Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fencing and gate hanging help  (Read 3601 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
fencing and gate hanging help
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:03:04 am »
Hi
I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a fencing/handyman type person for South Lanarkshire please. I am looking to get some post and rail/post and wire put up with a galvanised gate. Also need some guttering put up in a tricky place and another farm gate hung on an existing building if possible. Looking for quotes for labour initially, can supply most of the materials myself.  May well be a fair bit of other work depending on money/weather etc.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: fencing and gate hanging help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:57 am »
well if i ever get my car fixed me!!!

or failing that happyhippys other half!!!

i can quote for all work online with a photo of the site and a few quick questions...

how many metres, whats access to the site like (how far does kit have to be carried from where we can get a car)

for post and wire do you want all line wires or bottom wire sheep netting and a top wire etc

how urgent is it? cos im at least 2 weeks till i can do it...

or call me 07711 540632

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:10:58 am »
oh and photos of the guttering site as i have a lot of access kit and would look at that as well it just depends how bad it is to get to!!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:18:36 am »
Bloomer comes highly recommended, several of us on here can offer references, myself included :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:06 am »
ok cool, thankyou-its not that urgent and I am waiting to hear about other groundwork first-have to prioritise budget so it might not all happen at once. I'll get photos and measurements but roughly:

20m post and rail/wire to serve as an internal fence to an old stone wall/wire external fence. I would prefer no stock fencing (have horses, not sheep-although I do have stock fencing elsewhere, its not ideal) and it must be 4ft high. About 5m  of post and rail/wire with the gate-all right next to road/drive but the field is a mess and quite deep right now. We'll be getting some hardcore for the gateway. I would prefer to not have 12ft gate here-its a windy site and hanging onto a 12ft gate and horses in 70mph winds is not easy!

The guttering isn't hard to access, will need a good ladder, but it has to go along a metal lintel on a work shop. I am not sure if it can be drilled into the girder of if something creative has to be done! The drainage problems we have are easily apparent but hard to explain in writing. The gate is to go across here (and will have to measure).It may be that we can use our existing driveway gate and get a new one for the driveway.

Later on there well may be fencing including kickboards to a hardstanding area (about 20m x 20m) and possibly stock fencing to an acre paddock along the road, that might be next year though!. Good access to all.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:56 am »
ok

the guttering is easy self tapping screws straight into the lintel

get a few photos and send them to davidbloomer@tesco.net

and a contact number and i'll sort you a price...

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:33:09 am »
I've got the phone number of a really good fencer - he's up in Forth. I'll pm you his number  :thumbsup:
He's done bits and pieces of fencing here and it's soooooo much better than my OH's  :innocent:

For general tidying & stuff my OH would be happy to come and have a look and talk to you about it - we're over in Lesmahagow. He's good with bricks, roofs and chainsaws (LANTRA certificates) and doing hard graft  ;)
Karen  :wave:

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 02:23:30 pm »
thanks for your help everyone. I will try and get measurements and photos this weekend.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS