Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rosemary  (Read 9954 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Rosemary
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:22:15 pm »
Hello,

I planted two rosemary plants last spring about two foot apart. They were both thriving and now one has suddenly just dried up and died. Both receive exactly the same care and position in the garden. Any ideas?

Cheers

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rosemary
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:51:52 pm »
I thought for a minute something had happened to OUR Rosemary  :innocent:

However, as regards the plant  - I've had varying success with rosemary - depends on your soil type and what part of the country you live in, and whether you have good drainage and lack of draughts I think. I believe it can be susceptible to frost too.

were both of yours the same variety?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:16:23 am »
Yes both the same variety and were both doing great then one just died! Same soil same location same treatment etc etc I'll buy a new one later on I guess I was just surprised when they had been doing so well! Cheers!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:21:21 pm »
No idea. I think they're hardier than they're given credit for. I had a huge one in Switzerland that used to survive well through most winters when it would hit -10 and below from time to time. It finally succumbed two winters ago when we had a really cold spell that lasted about three weeks - I think it didn't get above -5 for the entire time.

I've got quite a few mature ones in the garden here - trained into rectangular pillars - and I do nothing to them except cropping them back every so often (and using them for cooking).

Mind you, most times when a plant dies I have no idea. Try another one and if that doesn't work, maybe try it somewhere else (2 feet apart is quite close given how big they get once mature).

H

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:42:09 pm »
Maybe a cat or dog weeed on one a few too many times

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:02:45 am »
Yes I'll buy another one and plant it a bit further away and see what happens! Roast potatoes are not the same without rosemary!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS