Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 wind turbines proposed virtually in my front garden!  (Read 13086 times)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: 2 wind turbines proposed virtually in my front garden!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »
Got any wildlife or interesting/rare flora nearby?

A planned wind-farm up here has moved turbine positions, and reduced turbine numbers, to keep away from a bat nursery, a black grouse lek and some deep peat.

OK, you might not have a lek - but nesting birds - especially if they're on an 'endangered' list should be noted on any objections. If you do have anything like that - contact your local wildlife officer or equiv.

Sue

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 02:53:41 pm »
we are currently objecting to a 21m turbine near our village, it's scary the number of applications going in, a large one on a hill was turned down, went to appeal and the inspector supported the objection, I'll find the report and see if I can get it to you, it may give you some tips.
the noise can be horrendous, villagers are up in arms over some local turbines, they can't sleep at night, there has been a formal letter from the Parish council requesting one is shut down untill problems are sorted - suddeny it is being seen to by an engineer!
Trouble is the government is advising Councils to be in favour, so it takes a lot of arguing to change their minds.
Are there trees nearby where bats may be hunting? (in summer of course) they are supposed to do a bat survey but we've been told they just claim there are no bats.
When is the comment deadline?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »
the noise can be horrendous, villagers are up in arms over some local turbines

Ah yes, the train that never passes, the helicopter that never lands.....
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 05:05:28 pm »
the noise can be horrendous, villagers are up in arms over some local turbines

Ah yes, the train that never passes, the helicopter that never lands.....
They are saying it sounds like a chinook hovering

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 05:23:25 pm »
I was told it sounds like wellies in a tumble drier.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 06:09:41 pm »
If you get close to a big turbine, it's a loud swhooshing noise. Smaller turbines go faster and make more mechanical noise.

We can hear the ones near us sometimes. However if it's windy like today, although they're making a LOAD of noise, the wind whistling in the trees and bushes around the house actually drowns them out!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 03:30:57 am »
I think Wombles  post is a very fair accurate assessment .

The danger of opposing such things like turbines etc. is that if your not careful it will become a monster that takes over your life and hurts your marriage/relationship.

The post about claiming noise irritation .. especially low frequency & low frequency vibrations .. have an open mind ..go and visit several turbines.

The latest types are somewhat much quieter than the ones of even five years ago as the blades are tuned to reduce noise.
You should be able to request info on the noise levels at set distances in set wind conditions & see how that all stack up wrt the supposed effect it might have on people within certain ranges.

One interesting thing I  read in one of the numerous engineering mags my wife works with was about a Dutch wind turbine was that, " The more vociferous people became about the noise the more they heard it .. someone managed to get all those complainants hearing tested as part of the investigation to try and get the turbine stopped and dismantled .
  Six of the biggest complainers were unable to hear the sound frequency even after half a dozen tests.

That's what I mean by don't let it take over your lives.
 Same with those of you who feel they are visual intrusions and monstrosities.. be careful of the words you use incase the very word you use up's the anti a lot and causes you to upset yourselves.

Remember a blind man would be really chuffed to see one of these turbines.

You might also be able to run along the lines of let them have the permission and add in the legally binding rider that should sound surveys prove that the noise /vibrations are above WHO recommended levels  that the turbines cease operation immediately and are dismantled .

A couple of years back we stayed within 800 mtrs of some of the biggest wind turbines in Germany ( massive wind farm of around 23 turbines ) in our caravan for four weeks at Phalz ,  I think they must have each been a good 97 mtr tall .

The wind was good enough to put up our 1.5 mtr tall kite most days & often blew across us from the direction of the turbines .
I'm tone deaf in the upper registers of a woman's voice ( I now have the papers since 2004 to prove it  :roflanim:  ) due to being a bit too close to a big explosion though tend to be quite sensitive to low frequency noise .

Alison & Munchkin are pitch perfect musicians with first class hearing .  None of us was even slightly bothered by any turbine noise as , we just didn't hear any whilst we were there.

We did take a trip out to the nearest turbine and standing 25 mtrs away from the base we could hear & feel  a low vibratory whooshing noise every time the blade came to the bottom of the arc similar to swishing a 15 foot long fishing rod but not too hard . At about 200 mtrs even Holly said she couldn't hear much and at 500 mtrs down wind on the track in the wood even she said she couldn't hear anything.

We have visited the local big  turbine array on Betws Mountain several times  where there are no trees or shrubs to mask or deflect any sound .. At 100 mtrs down wind on a very windy day we could hear the gentle soft whoosh as the blades reached the bottom of the arc.
At 200 mtrs down wind all we could hear was a very faint slow rhythmic shusshing/ moaning  noise and at 300 mtrs it was just the wind in our ears though we could hear cars doing a max of around 30 mph on the road 100 mtrs down wind of us ..

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 08:13:05 am »
Yes, we did that before we bought our place, knowing that there were turbines already there to our West, and more planned for North, South and East of us, each 96 to 125 metres tall!

So, we went and stood under one of the type proposed, then walked downwind until we were the same distance away as our house, then watched and listened. Overall, we decided we could live with it if we had to.

Since moving in, I've gradually made my peace with the turbines, though I don't think I'll ever love them! For example, it's a lovely 10K offroad run from our place, up round the ring of turbines and back. Without the turbines being there, there would be no track to run on. Also, they do raise a substantial amount of money each year for the community in the form of community benefit money.

So, I know your case is different FF, since you're having these foisted on you with no choice. However, Cloddopper is right - we make a choice how we're going to approach things, and how much we're going to object. Being 'anti' is fine, but there are a few in our local community who seem to think and talk of little else. Not only does it cloud their judgement, but it also stops me from inviting them round for coffee, as I'm tired of hearing empty whinges about something we cannot change.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 11:39:17 am »
I live next to a railway line and a bypass. We have investigated noise levels and the WHO (World Health Organisation) have laid down recommendations.  The maximum outdoor night noise level recommended is 60dbA, anything above that can cause heart and brain activity leading to disease. Indoors should be no more than 45 dbA

Reading material
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/integration/research/newsalert/pdf/202na3.pdf
http://www.noisequest.psu.edu/pdfs-documents/whonightnoise.pdf
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 03:59:05 pm »
The noise aspect doesn't bother us at all, we live 1/2 mile of a busy dual carriageway and if the winds in a certain direction it sounds like its right outside the window! It the aesthetics that bother us, they're just so ugly and out of keeping with the area, we just had a battle with having the new style pylons pushed thro our area  and these are not wanted, I know they're not as big as the offshore and mega wind turbines of which we have some 8 miles away from us.
We've discovered some interesting facts as regards the road that they'll be near and apparently they have to be in clear view of traffic and not in an accident black spot, we sadly qualify as there have been numerous incidents along this stretch of carriageway over the years, the air ambulance has in fact landed on the very place they want to put the turbines!
OH is going to take some levels tomorrow with his surveying equipment and we will use these as well.
The application is only at the first stage where they are seeing if they need an Environmental Impact Survey, if they do they are apparently likely to pull out as they're expensive to do so we want the council to say they need one.
Thanks again for all info its all useful.
mandy :pig:

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »
NIMBY attitude. Ridiculous. Live and let live or jump on the band waggon. Don't deny someone an income just because you think you own your view. Where does your income come from? Can you afford to do without an extra 15k a year, if so bully for you, not everyone can turn down a guaranteed income for health, social or domestic reasons. EnviroH will ensure noise and shadow flickerare negligible, after that there is nothing else of import. Excepting NIMBYS.

As for house values, what a crock of shtt. A house's vale is determined by the price a buyer is willing to pay and there are plentyof people who will happly live next to turbines. It may limit your market but iit will not reduce the property value. Such sensationalistic claims are invalid and scare mongering by the anti wind lobby. Pathetic.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 05:36:22 pm »
I don't think a windturbine would put me off from buying a house but the huge electric pylons definitely would put me off as they have allsorts of bad health links to them - proven or otherwise. we have quite a lot of turbines around here now.
of course birds etc do get hit and injured, the same goes for underwater tide thingys, the knarl seals etc.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2014, 07:29:28 pm »
I love wind turbines, around here its flat so there is quite a few, the local animal shelter has had a fairly big one for the last 25 years and managed to run large horse shows with ponies going right past it. As to the really big ones out of interest I went and stood right underneath one and really I thought the noise was minimal.
 Most of what we call the countryside is manmade, I come from a mining area so I grew up with the pit head and the slag heap in the distance and the clank of coal trains at night. At the base of these wind turbines is a small building, when better technology comes a long the turbines will be recycled and perhaps all will be left is the box, just like the odd pill box that stands in the fields now, a remnant of past needed technology. Old windmills, water mills, quarries, steam trains  in their  time we all eyesores but weather and the nostalgia  has made them vintage and picturesque.
I do not know if wind technology is a viable replace for fossil fuels, but if you can not breath because of the stuff we are pumping to the air the lack of the view and noise will be the last of our problems.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2014, 08:02:44 pm »
I can totally empathise with people who object to turbines because of the view. If thats one of the reasons you live somewhere you would naturally object to one on your doorstep, especially as in this case, the people who want the turbine dont actually live nearby and therefore have to see it.

Personally, if i could afford one i'd have my own. They are everywhere here and they don't bother me, neither does the noise. But i think it really is personel preference.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS