Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 wind turbines proposed virtually in my front garden!  (Read 13087 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
2 wind turbines proposed virtually in my front garden!
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:26:11 pm »
We have just discovered that a neighbouring land owner has applied to put 2 x 27mtr high wind turbines virtually outside our front door, 367mtrs to be precise to which we strongly object on all counts. it will halve the value of our property and will be unsightly, noisy and out of keeping with the area. We have informed local planning of our objections but is there anything else we can do.
Does anybody have any experience in dealing with this nuisance and how successfully they dealt with it. We have always had trouble with this guy as we own the driveway thro his land and he only has access rights. He doesn't live on the land which total just over 24 acres so they won't spoil his bloody view or affect his property.
I am seething mad  :rant:as is OH.
thanks in advance.
mandy :pig:

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
Re: 2 wind turbines proposed virtually in my front garden!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:08:04 pm »
Very difficult situation we have within 1 kilometre, 2  40 acres solar farms. within 500 meters we are having a 35 meter high wind turbine being erected and two more just passed planning.  The last one went through with over 50 objectors but unless you are within 200 meters view and noise do not guarantee a sussesful objection.

But we are in Cornwall where alternative power seems to reign supreme.

Good luck and hope you win your objection.
Pigs are human tooo

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:33:00 pm »
They have only applied, so get your formal objection in straight away.  Personally I don't mind seeing the odd one or two for a property although I hate too many wind farms on the horizon.  It is extremely upsetting if they are in your main view however. 

Could you have a meeting with the owner and the planner involved on site and stipulate that although you understand their need for them, could it be agreed that they be located somewhere specific so it doesn't detract from your own property.

I wouldn't fall out with the owner if possible, best to let them see you extremely upset rather than angry, that way they may feel sorry for you rather than thinking they should be defensive.

Good luck  :fc:  and try not to lose too much sleep over it or give yourself high blood pressure.  I'm sure such things must affect people's health.  :-[  All the best FF.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:00:42 pm »
Are his access rights actually specified?  Sometimes if you look in the small print of your contract there are odd clauses that might be relevant.  We once lived in a house where we were forbidden to erect a brick kiln!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:17:50 pm »
Are his access rights actually specified?  Sometimes if you look in the small print of your contract there are odd clauses that might be relevant.  We once lived in a house where we were forbidden to erect a brick kiln!

our neighbours deeds forbade them build anything with a foundation but they applied for planning for garden office with toilet etc. when I spoke to the council they weren't interested in the fact it was against the clause in their deeds. they withdrew it in the end but slightly concerned that the council didn't care.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:50:15 pm »
Well - he won't get planning permission if you have access rights for starters. How are they to maintain a turbine without access?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:40:59 pm »
Oh no, so feel for you  :hug:

I'd be seething mad too. Are there any organisations around who help in these type of circumstances  ???
Also may be worth getting somebody knowledgeable in land deeds and contracts to look at your rights with the land being rented and rights to access.

Sorry, other than thinking on those lines I wouldn't know what to do but hope you can get it stopped and send any petition this way for signing if it will help.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:28:29 am »
many thanks for all your comments and ideas.
the worst part of this is we didn't know anything about it, in the last week or so people in the village who usually speak or wave to me have blanked me and I didn't know why but now we do as last Wednesday at the parish council meeting it was discussed and because the application is by a power company it just says land near and our farm name so everybody naturally assumed it was us applying and took umbrage, we only found out becoz somebody rang and told OH about it or we wouldn't have known yet. Anyway I sent an e-mail to parish council asking them to clarify thro village website and parish newsletter that we were not involved in any way in this and we were most defo opposing it with every measure available. The parish council are being very helpful and forwarded all the info they have to us. The other next door farmer says he has a report somewhere that there is not enuff wind in the area as he looked into one a few years ago so he says he'll dig that out as ammo for us. What really boils us as well is that certain people who we considered good friends knew about this from the start and chose not to tell us about it.
Will let you know how we get on.
thanks again
mandy :pig:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 08:57:41 am »
I feel for you like others.  We seem to be in a permanent state of siege as one local farmer after another tries to get permission for 200ft turbines. So far nothings happened but surely only a matter of time.  A £15000 a year guaranteed income from one field is clearly attractive.  I don't want to be opposed to alternative energy in any way but turbines which have the capacity to be quite beautiful in some places (beside Avonmouth docks bristol for example) become a blight destroying people's peace and health in others.  Good luck

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 09:13:19 am »
A couple of years ago, farmer tried to get one close to our house - as they are all over Aberdeenshire I thought that was it. Our property was mentioned in the report I believe we were about 200m away ish. It was for

Full Planning Permission for Erection of 800kW Wind Turbine (Hub Height 55.6 Metres, Total Height 79.6 Metres) and associated Access Track and Hard Standing

It was actually refused but I think that's because we have helicopters travelling overhead to the rigs and something to do with radar which wouldn't be your situation (or may be) but you can view everything at

https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/planning/apps/detail.asp?ref_no=APP/2012/1658

in case you can glean any useful bit of info - good luck
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:05:10 am by Brucklay »
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 10:42:26 am »
yes, where we live the flight path and radars have a lot to do with the refusals.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:59:10 pm »
Speak with your local county councillor and make sure he/she is aware of your objections - having a councillor on your side often carries weight with the planning committee.

Persuade the Parish Council to object to the plan. Get all of your neighbours to write in to the planning department stating their objections. Speak with the planning department - the application may state which planning officer is dealing with it & they might give an indication of what grounds could be used for refusal.

Does the county council have a track record on refusing such applications - around here, all planning applications can be viewed on line & you may be able to see documentation from other turbine applications and get some ideas on how to get the application refused.

Hope everything works out OK

Sue

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 08:16:22 am »
Thanks Sue,
Parish council already swung into action. Village all on side.
OH is a builder and one of the architects he does a lot of work for has agreed to help us with the planning office side of things and he has contacted the lady in charge of this application. Believe it or not the district council under whose mandate this falls has only ever done one of these before which was very straightforward so they basically don't know what they're doing ??? ::), they're learning as they go!!!
We are also on the flight path of the air ambulance and numerous other commercial helicopters which we are hoping may be our saving grace.
Once again thanks for all the ideas, keep 'em coming.
best Mandy x :pig:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 10:00:45 am »
I considered a wind turbine. The issues that concerned me were sunlight flashing through the rotor blades and causing a stroboscopic effect which can induce fits apparently. Also the downwind noise as upwind isn't really a problem. So if the prevailing wind is from the West, the turbine needs to be to the East of any housing. And to the North for the sunlight issue.

The Council will not consider any private legal aspects, like restrictive covenants or questionable access because these would have to be tested in law. I wonder if you could sue for loss of value of your property? You are only dealing with an individual, not a giant corporation, so his costs will be the same as yours. Loser pays sometimes as well, but don't count on it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 01:44:16 pm »
Yes, the stroboscopic effect is called 'shadow flicker', and the developers will have to take that into account for all likely receptors (i.e. you, any horses you have who might be spooked, etc).

You could try contacting somebody like wind watch - they'd certainly point you in the right direction?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS