Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poisonous plants  (Read 4895 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Poisonous plants
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:27:32 pm »
As a goat owner, I am pretty switched on about what plants are poisonous to goats.

However, I am interested to find out are these plants poisonous to horses as well.

Does anyone know if there is a plant that is not poisonous to a horse but would be to a goat.

Thanks in advance
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Poisonous plants
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:00:24 pm »
You have to play it safe , poisonous is poisonous, some are slow to show , like milkweed , and have a cumulative effect, don't trust any poisonous plant not to have some effect .

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:40:46 pm »
Hmmm...you'd think there might be a chart on google listing all poisonous plants and a column with what / who they would be poisonous to. 

Like you mojo, I'm quite up on my plants too after having a NR ewe die of plant poisoning so I'm a bit paranoid. 

Goats are like wee horses I always think so it would be interesting to know.  I look at everything in the field with a mean face these days (except the livestock of course).  Everything green is guilty until proven innocent.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:31:17 pm »
Ok this is why I'm asking, my neighbour has planted some sort of shrub on her side of our perimeter fence. at the moment my goats can't reach it however as it grows , they probably will be able to have a munch. Surely someone that owns all singing , all dancing  :innocent: Arab horses with 75% red wine in their blood isn't going to plant shrubs next to her sand school if they were poisonous.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:12:54 am »
Can you ID the shrubs for us to narrow things down a bit
 Or keep spreading lots of salt over your fence ....or diesel

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:48 pm »
Well, you would think they would be careful but people sometimes can be a bit daft.  Can you ask her? 

I do see someone up the road from me I think may be a smallholder and they have sheep in a field with a perimeter of laurel bushes planted intermittently around.  She has a post and wire fence and although I don't think they can reach it, any leaves on the ground could easily blow in.  It often crosses my mind to tell her but I don't want people thinking I'm a busy body.

Nowt queer as folk though, I'd ask if you're worried.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 06:19:13 am »
Unfortunately can't ask neighbour, they have had a communication breakdown with us and police have advised us to avoid any communication with them.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 06:52:46 am »
Only on my phone so can't see the  picture that well. But to me it looks a bit like laurel . If it is it's toxic to goats and horses
Graham

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:38:38 am »
Yup, resembles Portugesse laurel.  Very fast growing.  I believe you can legally trim anything crossing your fence line.  Can you perhaps line the fence with chicken wire at this point?  On the other hand, as has been mentioned, any shrub would find it hard to cope with a bucket of very salty water delivered to the roots in the dead of night .....

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 09:59:45 am »
Laurel is deadly poison to goats , looks like it was deliberately planted to annoy, lots of salt water should do the trick and not as traceable as herbicides.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 01:40:42 pm »
Oh dear, as I said, watch those leaves which fall off and are blown in.  :-\

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 03:40:18 pm »
Thanks folks, I just don't get it, why would she put her horses at risk as well!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »
Cos she is a daft  :cow:
I have just seen a local farmer hedge a field with the wretched stuff - and he grazes sheep in the field.  I have spent the last five years chopping down 15' hedges of laurel and still my sheep can pick out a leaf at 20 paces ::) .  Luckily none have been poisoned :fc: .

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »
Our sheep nibble the overhanging yew branches at the Roman fort (the trees are in the walled gardens next to where the sheep graze), but as far as I know none have ever died of it.  I do suspect there may have been the odd upset tummy in imported sheep, who have then learned ;)  (the homebreds presumeably being taught by mum how much is enough ;) )

I was bemused when I was, long ago, looking to buy a smallholding in Wales, to find that a lot of fields were hedged with laburnum  :o.  Highly toxic to livestock, surely!?  But also very very good firewood ;).  I assumed that the hedges were kept trimmed and maybe therefore didn't seed?  But never followed it up as my path then took me north instead of into Wales.

It seems to me that a lot of plants are toxic in sufficient quantity, and do good in the right quantity and situation.  But how many animals have to have a toxic reaction, or worse, before they learn, I don't know.

Maybe your horrid neighbour has laurel elsewhere on their property, so the Arabs are used to it?  Otherwise yes their owners are either stupid or stupid.

Edited to make it clear that it is the neighbours who are stupid, not the Arab ponies. :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 09:56:35 pm »
She is far from stupid, if I'm questioning anything it's her mental health and integrity.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS