Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone make sloe gin?  (Read 6739 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Anyone make sloe gin?
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:41:09 pm »
Our sloes are not quite ready (everything we grow is behind up here) and you are meant to wait for the first frosts before picking them.  Its become a thing among my group of riding friends, that when at shows, one of us always has a flask/bottle of homemade sloe gin.  I am sure the other riders think we are dependent on drink or something, as quite often its mid morning when we are seen having a swig from the bottle ....and passing it round!!! 

I have to say, its very warming, and really nice.  I could make some elderflower wine, as lots of those out too.

Now I do sound like an alkie!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone make sloe gin?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:44:04 pm »
Well we shooting folk are alcies too - we all have flasks of sloe gin too.  Except that mine is vodka! ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:26:05 pm »
I have bought the cheapo gin in readiness for this years sloe harvest. I used to take it as a pick me up during icy rounds of golf on sunday mornings. Also on the go are blackcurrant vodka, redcurrant vodka and plum brandy (made with gin). I like to have it ready for xmas when the local carrolers come round. Have you thought of any elderberry based spirit drinks?
 :yum:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:18:47 pm »
Not considered elderberry based spirit drinks, but willing to give it a go :D

I do recall in my younger days going to a freinds who had a band playing, and lots of drink and a barbie .....I seem to recall drinking far too much of someones's homemade, and very strong elderberry wine.......I fell asleep in the back of my boyfriend at the time, Landrover, and he had to somehow wake me up to go home.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:36:42 pm »
I've got bramble(blackberry) vodka and gin on the go as of yesterday.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:05:05 pm »
Carl, whats the plum brandy (with gin)? Sadly I don't think I've got a big enough crop of plums this year though!

Beth

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:04:25 am »
Plum Brandy is apparently made in the same way as sloe gin but with plums, but is called plum brandy. I have no idea why. It tastes like sloe gin but sweeter. Maybe you could use brandy in place of gin, but what would that be called?
I think you can tinker with the basic recipe, changing spirits, fruits and sugar amounts. Mars bar vodka? chili vodka?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:36:59 pm »
Never heard of Mars Bar vodka!  I like both but not together I don't think Hmmm

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 05:20:21 pm »

1 bottle gin
2lbs, 900g damsons (washed & dried)
1lb, 450g sugar
Prick all the damsons with a needle. Put in the kilner jar. Add the sugar. Add the gin. Put lid on. Shake frequently for about 6 weeks. Strain & bottle. Improves with keeping.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53:59 pm »
I have made Plum Brandy, but it was literally Plum Brandy. Plums, equal amount (roughly) of sugar, and cheap brandy to make into a liquer. Was very good too. Made it 2 years ago when we had a good crop of plums.

Beth

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 11:22:11 pm »
Mars bar vodka isn't such a bad idea....
Anyone dare to create a recipe for chocolate cream liquer (Baileys)?
Imagine the trick would be in emulsifying it. Maybe akin to mayonnaise?
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 11:45:45 pm »
I have heard of chilli vodka though.  Can't remember where at the minute.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 08:32:29 am »
mmm i've drunk chilli vodka but never considered making it. It was fab, a real toe warmer  I'll try making it and let you know. I think th epricking of the chillies would be the key - i wonder if you would need sugar to draw the juices or if that's jus t for flavour? I'll experiment.
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »
I have chillies - Scotch bonnets (Hmmm maybe a tad hot for this) and a lovely little bush from Mr & Mrs Sellickboy - can't remember it's name - Festival maybe?

I also have vodka from my friend in Sweden so willing to give it a try when you have a recipe Marigold.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 08:05:21 pm »
Went to Lidl today, got some cheap vodka, got some chillies - will give it a go tomorrow. If you don't hear from me again you'll know that i have done too much testing.
kirsty

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS