Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please, does this sound like scald?  (Read 10368 times)

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Help please, does this sound like scald?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 06:36:58 pm »
She is 6 this year.
Vet is young so I'm surprised he suggested cautery over what you suggest? Seems like we are wasting our time spraying it then and it isn't going to get better on its own :(. Don't know whether to put her through surgery or just let her go.
Can anyone tell me why this has happened and how I can try to prevent it in my others please?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »
Some sort of insult to the soft tissues within the hoof caused for eg. by over enthusiastic hoof trimming possibly then compounded by chemical irritation by a formalin footbaths etc the foot responded by producing granulation tissue which poked out through the defect in the hoof wall, pressure exerted by the wall on this tissue stimulates it to grow further and so on and forth. Its one scenario.

Trim carefully to prevent damaging deep structures of the hoof and if you notice damaged horn avoid footbaths until you know how deep the defect is   

ps euthenase her if you feel it is the right thing to do but as I say it should not require anaesthetic and should be largely pain free as it is granulation tissue. Does bleed like hell though so be prepared! Have your pressure bandaging gear at the ready. Don't wear your favourite white suit. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:00:08 pm by Me »

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 08:22:46 pm »
Thank you. She has only ever been a pet so hasn't ever been in a footbath. Their feet get trimmed once a year and only again if really bothering them. The vet commented on how good her feet were, he said far to many people trim too much. Our shearer always does them hard, I wonder if that's where it started. Vet was not in favour of bandaging her foot, he said it is very difficult to keep in place and if it comes off the risk of infection is high. I don't want to kill her off but have to do what is best for her. Friend who farms sheep for a living said send her to market :(

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 11:33:05 pm »
once its cut back patching the defect with artificial hoof works really well.  it stops further irritation from dirt & movement and maintains integrity of the hoof wall while the defect grows out.  the local farrier will have some if the vet hasn't any.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 12:14:40 am »
You can't send her lame, you will be done. So either pts or sort it out would be my advice. I have sorted a fair few with the method outlined above, difficult to bandage and get the pressure where you want it and not where you don't, but very achievable if you are happy to pay for two visits 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:30 am »
On a farm scale, if she isn't limping, then sending her to market makes the most sense.  However it sounds as though you may prefer to make your decision based on other factors.

(And yes, if she's limping you can't transport her, so she'd have to be shot / pts on farm.  If you'd want to put her in your own freezer the vet may be able to write you a certificate saying she's fit for human consumption, but I don't know if you have anyone who would come to the farm to slaughter and butcher for you.  We have a chap will come to slaughter and take away cattle that can't be transported, but whether anyone would turn out for one old ewe...)

I've seen a fair few of these granulomas treated, with and without cauterising, with and without bandaging and with and without Cheviot paste.  Sometimes the granuloma comes back and the animal can't be kept sound, but often one treatment is enough. 

I wouldn't get too carried away with the spectre of 'an operation' - to the sheep it'll just be a rather vigorous foot-trimming session and there will be a lot of blood afterwards.  (Oh, and if the cost of an 'operation' was a concern - the vet won't think ill of you if you ask for a quote!  It shouldn't be too expensive - a callout, a simple procedure, a few jags.)

If she's not in lamb and she walks sound then market is an option.  If she's lame, or you don't want to put her in the fat or eat her yourselves, then I'd get the vet to cut it off - the op won't kill her and might give her another few years. ;)   

If she is in lamb, then if she's now comfortable on the foot then personally I would leave it until after she's lambed and then get the vet to cut it off. 

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 10:37:49 am »
Thank you all again, she's not really lame I don't think, hard to see as she is penned and she's definitely not in lamb (as an aside how old is too old to be in lamb, not that I'm thinking of breeding from my sheep!)
The farrier will be here on Friday, is it worth asking him if he can cut it out? How would I manage it after though? Would it need to be bandaged or not? When can you use the artificial hoof?
Otherwise I have the number of the hunt but also wonder if local butcher would take her and we can feed her to the dogs....that's awful isn't it, poor Dolly :(
I'm not too worried by the cost of an operation if it gives her quality of life again. I will talk to the vet again.
I'm not sure she is consumable after these anti-inflamm injections either?

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 12:37:09 pm »
I have spoken to the vet again and he is advising to leave it be for now. He feels it is too tiny to have a stalk and he wants to see whether it is growing. He has advised me to give the second jab tomorrow then let her out in the field with the others and watch her for a week to see if she is lame and then to check if it has grown any. It is currently less than 1cm which he says is much smaller than what he normally observes.
Feeling a bit more positive for her ...... :)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 12:46:26 pm »
I let a farrier trim my sheep and goats feet and he made a right mess of them. never again.

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »
good advice shygirl :), the vet said the current view is not to trim them back hard and let them do it naturally if possible.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 01:45:16 pm »
Too old to lamb question:  it depends!  Some of my Southdowns have produced 11 sets of twins.  Every ewe is individually assessed on her merits - at lambing, during lactation, after weaning and before tupping.  Condition, mouth, feet and udder must be excellent.  She must lamb without problems and mother up straight away if a ewe and within a day if she's a first-timer.  She must milk well and become pregnant during the three weeks the tup is in.  On this basis some ewes are discarded after four pregnancies and some go on and on.  Because the early cull ewes will produce fewer lambs, over time the average top age of the ewes will tend to increase as those ewes produce more lambs, some of which will hopefully have inherited their dam's qualities.

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 11:04:54 pm »
Too old to lamb question:  it depends!  Some of my Southdowns have produced 11 sets of twins.  Every ewe is individually assessed on her merits - at lambing, during lactation, after weaning and before tupping.  Condition, mouth, feet and udder must be excellent.  She must lamb without problems and mother up straight away if a ewe and within a day if she's a first-timer.  She must milk well and become pregnant during the three weeks the tup is in.  On this basis some ewes are discarded after four pregnancies and some go on and on.  Because the early cull ewes will produce fewer lambs, over time the average top age of the ewes will tend to increase as those ewes produce more lambs, some of which will hopefully have inherited their dam's qualities.

My oldest girl had her last set of twins at 14 years.  Cracking twins and she is still in fine health but retired now at 16.  Only problem i had in her last pregnancy was that her skin got very itchy over her stomach area where she was stretched for her ballooning tummey,  she rubbed loads of wool out.  Under order of vet I rubbed sudocrem all over her sides everyday for 3 weeks until lambing.  stopped her itching, she had lovely skin down her sides and smelt gorgeous!  As soon as twins were delivered and her tummy shrunk she stopped itching!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS