Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please, does this sound like scald?  (Read 10369 times)

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
Help please, does this sound like scald?
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:13:46 pm »
Sheep very lame on front foot, she was turning it under her rather than walking on it. We penned her in and found a small round sore patch underneath sort of on the edge of where her foot is split. I have been bathing it daily in hibiscrub and spraying with tetcin from the vet for over a week now and it is much more comfortable for her, she is walking on it now but it is still red and sore looking and today I noticed her hoof seems to be coming apart in a wider ring round the sore patch. Her hoof is quite soft I assume because of my soaking it everyday. Should I be getting the vet to come?

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Help please, does this sound like scald?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:10 pm »
if its scald - engymycin spray/jag will clear it up quickly. wont do any harm if its not. I think you will need to get it from the vet though.

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:53:57 pm »
Thank you for replying, tetcin is oxytetracycline hydrochloride, is that no good? I'm going to google what you suggest  :)
Looked it up and it is the same drug. I'm worried the time it is taking to get better and that her hoof seems to be breaking away now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:56:24 pm by dizzykizzy »

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:40:07 pm »
Alamycin spray, clears it up in 24 hours, did 3 of my lambs yesterday and they are totally sound today. x

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:48:47 am »
have you brought her inside to give it chance to  dry out?
that's what we did with our goat. her took a while to heal as it got quite bad as we used the wrong spray at first.

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:06:48 am »
Thanks all, alamycin is also the same drug but we have been using it for over a week and there is still a red patch. She doesn't seem sore on it except when I dry it off with cotton wool. We have got her in on straw but it's not drying because I keep washing it in hibiscrub. Should I stop washing and just spray?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:16:44 am »
There are several things it could be, including Strawberry Footrot and CODD (Contagious Ovine Digital Dermatitis).  Do you have a photo?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »
Hoof coming away means there's more than just scald going on.  It could've started as scald and then a secondary infection got in.  Generally one or two treatments of antibiotic spray would clear scald up (and no hibiscrub needed.)

Can you take her to the vet for an expert opinion?  Otherwise can you post a few pics?

Is there any smell?  Pus?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 08:59:37 am »
No smell, no pus but when I cleaned it off with a soft brush yesterday it started to bleed again. She's not sore on it but it's just not healing ????. I think we will have to get the vet to her she's too big to transport anywhere!
I will try and get a photo today. Thanks all.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:39:52 am »
If its not sore and bleeds easily then strawberry foot suggestion does sound likely, a photo would be helpful, if sf then get the vet to come and cut it back for you

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:21:02 am »
when my goat had scald between her toes, it was very painful for her, and the treatment did work very well - so maybe it isn't scald.

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:49 pm »
Vet is coming at 5, I'll let you know.
Just googled strawberry footrot and some of the pictures look a bit like it but her foot isn't smelly or rotting I don't think. We'll see what they say but thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply :)

dizzykizzy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »
Vet has been, he said it is a strawberry and has given her an anti-inflammatory to be repeated in 2 days. If it doesn't heal with the oxytetracycline spray he said the next step would be to cauterise but he doesn't really want to put her through that  :( so we may end up losing her. Fingers crossed it clears up.....

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 05:17:52 pm »
fingers crossed for you both? what age is she?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 05:48:40 pm »
Spray wont heal it, cuatery is old fashioned and often makes it worse. The best and only treatment IMO is to cut it back hard with a scalpel inc all the surrounding horn, dig out the "root" of the tissue.

(Blood will spurt big time but its not too painful as its granulation tissue).

Then create a pea sized lump of cotton wool and bandage it in place to exert pressure on said root for several days.

Then change the bandage cutting back the area again though much less vigorously - cure

Failing that you can cut the affected claw off - dramatic but you know where you are. They cope well with one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS