Zoro
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:15 pm »
Introducing Zoro the masked avenger!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Zoro
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 06:43:06 pm »
Oh that is really cute! I am looking forward to my first zwartbles lambs next month!
Anne

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 08:51:13 pm »
Oh that is really cute! I am looking forward to my first zwartbles lambs next month!

Me too! Our first time lambing so hopefully it'll all go well. Zorro looks great! Shame the letter for this year isn't Z, otherwise it would be a great ZSA name too!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:27:56 pm »
Let's hope he is a 'vigorous' as his namesake!  lol
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:44:18 am »
Well, Daisys Mum, we do have pedigree Zwartbles as well as Zoro !!
They are all very pretty when small though aren't they.
 :sheep:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 10:22:50 am »
Love the name, it suits him.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:54:33 pm »
I do really like the look of zwartbles. All the ones I've seen so far are only slightly smaller than shetland ponies though, so that has put me off a bit!

Any thoughts?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 01:19:27 pm »
I do really like the look of zwartbles. All the ones I've seen so far are only slightly smaller than shetland ponies though, so that has put me off a bit!

Any thoughts?
Yes they are pretty big, it was a bit of a shock finding out how much they eat compared to the Shetlands we used to have. I have found them to be really friendly and easy to handle though!
Anne

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »

Any thoughts?

They do vary in size and there are smaller ones about too, ours come in a range of sizes. You will only see the large ones at shows though!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 01:41:35 pm »
There are some newborns down the road from us - such smart little sheep, like they are in school uniforms, make my rare breeds look like the local toe-rags  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 03:17:12 pm »
As Blacksheep can tell you Zwartbles are a very sociable breed. Amiable personalities, gentle and always make time for a chat if you have a few spare minutes to spend with them.
The lambs are very smart and in a group look like a miniature horse race when in the frantic five minute mode.
They finish much slower than commercial meat breeds so they tend to very sweet, tender meat with little fat. We often keep ours through the winter and kill in the spring.
Also very good milkers.I believe that was their original purpose when kept in Holland and Belgium.
They look big because they have long, slim legs. Lovely ladies!!

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »
I love my Zwartbles  :love: I only have four of them (hopefully soon to be increased by several lambs!) but they are more like pet dogs than sheep! They come when they are called, lift their front feet up like horses for me to check for stones etc and will follow me up the track and back to visit the garden. They love nothing more than a nice face scratch and a chat (well, except perhaps a digestive biscuit or an apple).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS