Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ryelands eyes  (Read 3110 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
ryelands eyes
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:29 pm »
Hi I have a worry in that whilst looking carefully at the ewes in the shed waiting for new borns, I looked at one of last years lambs closely and noticed that the wool was completely around her eyes and she could hardly see out.  I was shocked when I eventually saw her eyes as one was opaque and cloudy, the other clear.  No redness or tears though.  What is the best thing to do.  Should I clip around the eyes and then get the vet to look at her eye?

I feel quite guilty that I hadn't noticed before

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: ryelands eyes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:33 pm »
Get some eye antibiotic ointment from the vet (vet will explain how to apply, it sounds scary but its ok really once you get the hang of it).  Take a photo of the eye to the vet if necessary, saves the vet call out fee.
Orbenin is what I'm usually given for eye infections.  They can easily pick up bacteria etc or get irritation from hay dust etc. 

Eye infections are often highly contagious, so you would be advised to separate her (with a buddy for company), otherwise you could soon be having to treat the whole flock.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:15:07 pm by foobar »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:21 pm »
If it is past the "looking quite sore" stage with lots of tear stains - you may find that there is not much you can do now. I had a ewe that had bad "pink eye" and despite treatment with orbenin one of her eyes stayed completely cloudy.

She could however spot the food bucket from about 50 m away as I was making my way towards their field, so I am sure it didn't interfere with her day-to-day life too much... ;)

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:19:29 am »
Although it is a two person job, and needs a steady hand, there is no downside to clipping the wool off around  Ryeland eyes. It has to help to keep the area clean and reduce the risk of infection. I don't like the idea of keeping visually impaired sheep so trim mine about every 3 months.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:49:54 pm »
Southdowns are the same - I trim mine around every four months after shearing, the last one being before the ewes are turned out of the lambing shed, so they can see their lambs!  Stand with a knee each side of the head, facing front, and use one hand to shield the eye and the other to trim - that way if the sheep moves you won't jab it.  I use dagging shears but dressmaking scissors will do perfectly well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS