Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Surprise twin lambs.......  (Read 5176 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Surprise twin lambs.......
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:38 pm »
6 weeks early, only just started giving cake, no heptovac....... Aghhhhh!  They seem well enough, both seen feeding - anything to be done  for mum/ lambs given the above?  I have some lamb start from last year.....  I think I can pin it on a mass escape of next doors store lambs end oct ..... We do lamb outdoors, but have penned her off with them to give a bit of shelter and chance to bond (she rejected one of her twins last year, but thankfully is licking both this time).     Hope all your lambings have been going well, ours is so late because I was totally taken up with caring for my mum end of year and only managed to hire a ram as afterthought..... Shouldn't have bothered!  Missed you all, but been in my own head a bit after loss.  Hope to rejoin normality soon.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Surprise twin lambs.......
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »
If they haven't had any maternal immunity, then they should get the vaccine at 3weeks, which may just be the right time for your other ewes to get their booster if you are running 6 weeks early with these two... (and any others that maybe got caught...).

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:54 pm »
The lambs will probably be fine - check the label on the vaccine, you may be able to give it sooner if the mum wasn't vaccinated.  But if she was done last year, she'll have had a bit of immunity left, so I'd leave it to 3 weeks as Anke says.

Sorry to hear about your mum.  :hug:  I know about retreating into oneself; you know we're here when / if you want us.  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:51:03 pm »
Thanks both :hug: .  Yes Lola the mule mum has been in full heptovac... So good to hear she may have passed something on.... I'm just gutted that she hasn't had the supplementary nutrition she could have done with, especially with twins ( and also not one of my beulahs which I am assuming being mountain sheep can probably get by on a bit less). 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:08:39 pm »
Sorry to hear about your mum  :(

Nature's a wonderful thing - if you feed the ewe now, she'll put it into the lambs. My vet's keen on this as it avoids theproblems with oversized lambs. Doesn't sound like the lambs need lambstart - looks like they've already started.

We'll look forward to seeing you around soon  :hug:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:28:20 pm »
What is normality please? :roflanim:
Welcome back  :hug:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 08:44:29 pm »
 ;D  I did have that thought as I typed normal! I have never been normal!   But I have been a little more inward looking than usual for me the last 6 months....  But life pulls on and buffy and angel ( yes really , poor things, ) are the start of the new year!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 08:54:31 pm »
Hope things are on the up for you now.

PS - I have/had Buffy,willow,pheobe, paige, piper, Prue, Leo, Cole and Angel - ran out of witches so wnet onto Buffy and every name suited them!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 08:58:54 pm »
I called the girl buffy and my son suggested ' the vampire slayer' for the ram lamb.... But we took pity and a friends suggestion resulted in angel!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:59 pm »
I've got a Buffy too - and her fleece is b e a u t i f u l  ;D  :spin:

Your lambies are real cuties  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 07:08:09 am »
I've got a Buffy too - and her fleece is b e a u t i f u l  ;D :spin:

Your lambies are real cuties  :)

Mmmmm they are welsh mountain mongrels......  Not what I was hoping for after hiring a beautiful Beulah ram !  But they are still cute ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 03:06:49 pm »
I like the idea of 'the vampire slayer' ;D .  We had Zorro and Zorba - but sadly they are now rugs on the sofa :sofa:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS