Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Local weaners vs preferred breed  (Read 3055 times)

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
Local weaners vs preferred breed
« on: February 28, 2014, 09:35:13 pm »
Right I was browsing ads for weaners for later in the year. I had my eye out for some Tamworth weaners because I had kept some two years ago and the meat was fantastic. I stumbled across an ad from a neighbour of mine who I knew bred some weaners. He has GOS weaners for sale. I don't know the man very well and I now have to decide whether I should shop around for my tamworths or buy weaners raised up the road and support someone local. Has anyone any advice? Are GOS as good eating as tamworths? I don't mean to start a Tamworth vs GOS debate, just wondered if people felt there was a major difference. Thanks for reading  :thumbsup:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Local weaners vs preferred breed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:42:38 pm »
gos meat is beautiful, sweet and a bit drier/less oily than the tamworth meat. its the sort of pork to eat with apple sauce. I personally think the gos suits a lot of proper recipes whereas tamworth meat needs nothing else.
try it, there is always next year for more tamworth - then you will appreciate them even more.  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:48:28 pm by shygirl »

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:04:24 pm »
Thanks, that is the kind of information I was looking for. I did like the moist quality to the Tamworth meat. I would like to support a local producer and if he had tamworth weaners it would be a non issue. I just don't want to change breed and end up disappointed by the end product. Although I could be just being boring and sticking with what I know. I could prefer GOS meat for all I know. I think I will need to weigh up the risk of changing breed to the advantage of knowing I can see the sow my weaners came from while standing in the pen they will be raised in.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 02:37:57 am »
tamworth and gos are both officially very high on the taste test. both very top quality - just different.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45:37 am »
Does he sell pork maybe asking if you can buy a piece too try it before you buy the pigs? :))

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:53:58 am »
Both are fantastic eating but if you cant find the Tamworths the GOS certainly wont disappoint. Steady easy going breed.

Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »
I have had both, The tamworths our first pigs where great fun to keep and the meat was fantastic , our GOSs where very easy to keep the meat was very nice and people who bought some off us said it was the best they had tasted  but we did prefer the Tamworth meat
Graham

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 10:10:47 am »
In order for the GOS pork to gain Traditional Speciality Guaranteed status within the EU it had to go through a battery of tests to prove it had unique, superior, eating quality.  Look on the GOS website for more info.  I believe it'sstill  the only breed of pig to have this.

FrostyM

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wicklow, Ireland
    • My Overcrowded Garden
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 04:40:12 pm »
Thanks for all the advice folks  :thumbsup:

After a good think about things, I have decided to hold off for a couple of weeks. I'm not really ready for weaners yet. I just saw the ad and got a little carried away. I was hoping to keep em over the summer and send em off in the Autumn. The ground around here is still like a swamp. I will get in touch with my neighbour and ask if he is breeding anymore later in the year and I might get some GOS then. I have been convinced to give the meat a try but it's just a bit early in the year for me.

Thanks again

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 09:17:52 am »
Our first weaners were Tamworths and were fantastic to keep and to eat, but last year there were no weaners available locally so we had OSB and OSB/LB cross.  Whilest the meat from these was very good I think I will spend a little extra time finding some Tamworths this year.  Both for the fun of keeping them and because the meat is so very different from anthing I can buy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS